Detecting Lasers with photodiodes---Circuit layout?

In summary, a photodiode can be used to detect the collimated light of a HeNe laser. Different electrical devices can be used to trigger an alarm depending on the setup.
Paradox101
For a certain science fair working model, what should I use to detect the collimated light of a HeNe laser(in the red;653nm if that is necessary)?After some surfing on the net, I found that I should use a 'photodiode'.
The desired result should be solely to detect whether the laser's light is falling on it or not.What electrical device should come into play if I was to employ it in this science project?
Note--- This project is actually similar to a burglar alarm, so upon detecting that an object is crossing the laser's beam,a buzzer should ring an alarm.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on your setup.

If the laser is powerful enough, a simple "supply voltag, buzzer, photodiode, resistor" circuit could be sufficient. You probably want to amplify the signal with a transistor, however. How does the buzzer work?

Likes Paradox101
Paradox101 said:
For a certain science fair working model, what should I use to detect the collimated light of a HeNe laser(in the red;653nm if that is necessary)? After some surfing on the net, I found that I should use a 'photodiode'.
The desired result should be solely to detect whether the laser's light is falling on it or not. What electrical device should come into play if I was to employ it in this science project?
Note--- This project is actually similar to a burglar alarm, so upon detecting that an object is crossing the laser's beam, a buzzer should ring an alarm.
there's zillions of ideas on the net ...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photodiode+light+detector+circuit&FORM=HDRSC2Dave

Likes Paradox101
you also need to consider some narrow band optical filtering if this is going to be used in daylight
as any ambient light will be picked up by the photodiodeDave

Likes Paradox101
davenn said:
you also need to consider some narrow band optical filtering if this is going to be used in daylight
as any ambient light will be picked up by the photodiode
Differential measurements (laser on/off) are an alternative, but I don't know if HeNe lasers can be switched on and off frequently without issues. Works fine with LEDs over short distances. It requires coupling the source and the receiver, of course. Which leads back to the point "we don't know the setup".

Likes Paradox101
personally, I wouldn't even be considering a HeNe laser or even a laser diode UNLESS the distance between the source and detector was 10's of metres
HeNe lasers are dreadfully power hungry, run hot and have a very short life span ( when run continuously) compared to laser diode or IR LED
For anything up to around 10 - 20 metres, standard IR diodes ( focused) and use an appropriate IR receiver diode.
eg

Factory-wholesale-38Hz-IR-receiver-Module-8-30M-transmission-distance-20mA-2-5-5-5V-plastic.jpg

these have a + and - supply and an output

This will make daytime use so much easier

Dave

Likes Paradox101
Not sure why you want to use visible red light. Is that just because it is what you have, or is it part of the demo?

For the basic design steps, you have to consider:
A. You need to deal with ambient light vs. laser intensity.
B. You need to deal with interfacing between the photodiode and whatever you want it to "trip".
C. You may want to consider advanced techniques to improve #1.

Assuming the laser is always on (#C is discussed later), you probably need to have a threshold calibration to set a threshold for the laser light level.
The laser needs to be bright enough to make a significant difference to the ambient light. This is essentially your signal to noise level.

A. There are several simple optical methods to help you out with ambient to laser ratio:
1. Get a filter for the laser frequency to put in front of the photo diode. <---- Probably Required
2. Put a neutral density filter in front of the laser to avoid saturating (overloading) your detector. <--- Kludge
3. Add a lens system that focuses a narrow area on the detector. <--- Good
4. Something as simple as a cardboard tube can reduce adjacent light sources <--- quick and simple

B. There are many different circuits ranging from very basic and insensitive, to very sensitive. The link from davenn shows they range from simple transistor based circuits to opamp based circuits. The most basic opamp principle for a photodiode is shown below. Measuring the voltage output from such a circuit would allow you to experiment with The ideas in A and give you some idea of what the final design needs. The value of Rf depends on the diode and light levels.

Essentially when light falls on a reverse biased photodiode, the leakage current increases and the opamp output voltage changes to supply the current.
This circuit is an over simplification to show the principle.
th?&id=OIP.Mf70f06d13bd9fcbd781cafcd0c42f4deo0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

You may want to search for a module. Such as
http://www.lightinthebox.com/lm393-light-sensor-photosensitive-sensitivity-light-sensor-module-for-arduino-free-dupont-cables_p1023968.html <--- looks adequate!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRNN1FW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Although, I didn't see schematics for either of those.

C. The next level of sophistication involves chopping or modulating the light at a particular frequency and building your detector to filter for that frequency. I think you need to understand all of the above and determine a true need before you head down the modulation path.

Likes Paradox101
meBigGuy said:
Not sure why you want to use visible red light. Is that just because it is what you have, or is it part of the demo?
Could you suggest any other laser,not necessarily in the visible spectrum but definitely in my low budget?

Paradox101 said:
Could you suggest any other laser,not necessarily in the visible spectrum but definitely in my low budget?

reconsider what I said in my opening comments in post # 6Is there really a good reason why you want to use a laser ?
if so use IR one instead
you still haven't commented over what sort of distance you want this to workDave

Why a laser as opposed to an LED? You really have not explained what you are really trying to do, which makes it hard to focus on the correct advice.

meBigGuy said:
Why a laser as opposed to an LED? You really have not explained what you are really trying to do, which makes it hard to focus on the correct advice.

Yes, this is what we have all been asking

Paradox, can you describe the experiment and its objectives? If the goal is for object detection then just about any other light producing technology from candle on up would be easier and more cost efficient than HeNe laser.

BoB

1. What is the purpose of using photodiodes in laser detection circuits?

Photodiodes are used in laser detection circuits because they are sensitive to light and can convert photons into electrical signals. This allows them to detect the presence of a laser beam and trigger the circuit to perform a specific action.

2. How do photodiodes detect lasers?

Photodiodes detect lasers by absorbing the photons from the laser beam and converting them into electrical current. The amount of current generated is directly proportional to the intensity of the laser beam, allowing the photodiode to accurately detect the presence of a laser.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a circuit layout for detecting lasers with photodiodes?

Some important factors to consider when designing a circuit layout for detecting lasers with photodiodes include the type and wavelength of the laser being detected, the sensitivity and response time of the photodiode, and the noise level of the circuit. It is also important to ensure proper shielding and grounding to minimize interference and improve accuracy.

4. Can photodiodes be used to detect all types of lasers?

No, photodiodes have different sensitivities to different wavelengths of light. Therefore, they may not be able to detect all types of lasers. It is important to select a photodiode with a sensitivity that matches the wavelength of the laser being detected for optimal performance.

5. What is the difference between analog and digital photodiode circuits for laser detection?

Analog photodiode circuits produce a continuous output signal based on the intensity of the laser beam, while digital photodiode circuits produce a binary output (on or off) when the laser beam reaches a certain threshold. Analog circuits are typically more sensitive and accurate, while digital circuits are simpler and more cost-effective.