Problem with this Laser diode circuit

In summary, the individual has dismantled an old DVDRW drive and taken a 4-pin laser diode from it. After connecting it to two 2A batteries, the light beam is diverging and the brightness is even dimmer than another laser diode from a presentation pen. The diode became hot within a few seconds and produced a smell of melting solder. To make it work properly, a series resistor may be needed to limit the current. The wavelength of the light is expected to be 660nm. The individual's laser diode may have been damaged due to high current and proper precautions must be taken when handling it
tPS
I have dismantled an old DVDRW drive and taken a 4-pin laser diode from it.
DVDRW laser diode

After connecting it to two 2A batteries (red with positive, and blue with negative), the light beam is diverging, and the brightness is even dimmer than another laser diode that I got from a presentation pen.
presentation pen

Also, the it became hot within a few seconds that I can even smell the smell of the solder melting. Is there something that I should modify in the circuit to make it work properly?
(Sorry if I am asking in the wrong place)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tPS said:
Also, the it became hot within a few seconds that I can even smell the smell of the solder melting. Is there something that I should modify in the circuit to make it work properly?
Maybe you need a series resistor to limit the laser diode current.
What wavelength light do you expect from that laser diode?

Likes tPS
Baluncore said:
Maybe you need a series resistor to limit the laser diode current.
What wavelength light do you expect from that laser diode?
i think it is 660nm.
Current being too large would lower the "brightness" of the laser?

I expect the high current may have destroyed the laser diode as part of your learning exercise. But you may have been lucky. Light output is reduced as the temperature rises. When the diode cools it may recover.

Do not look into the beam. The diode may appear to be dim if seen from the side. Aim the laser diode at a white sheet of paper to scatter the light so you can see the colour without risk to your eyesight. An unknown laser diode may be an IR diode, invisible to you. Take great care.

You used two cells in series which could be between 2.4 and 3.3 V, depending on the chemistry of the battery. A red, 660 nm laser diode should have a forward voltage of about; 1240 / 660 nm = 1.87 V.

To limit current to say about 10 mA, with a 3.3 V supply, you will need a series resistor of about; ( 3.3 - 1.87 ) / 10 mA = 150 ohms. Anything near that will do for a quick test.

Likes jim mcnamara, tPS and DaveE
I sympathize with the damage to your laser diode.
First of all, please note that you must handle the laser diode with care, because even the very low laser light power emitted from the laser diode may harm your eyes.

tPS said:
After connecting it to two 2A batteries (red with positive, and blue with negative), the light beam is diverging, and the brightness is even dimmer than another laser diode that I got from a presentation pen

If you remove the laser diode from the DVDRW drive, but do not together with a properly installed collimating lens, of course the laser light will become divergent.

tPS said:

There are two basic units inside the laser diode, namely LD and PD. LD stands for laser diode and PD stands for photodiode. In order to control the correct laser power output, the driver uses negative feedback topology to control the current of the LD based on the output of the PD.

Obviously, if the feedback control circuit is damaged or disturbed, for example, the original shielding structure is removed, the PD will be incorrectly affected by ambient light, the loss of the shielding structure (including the collimating lens) will also cause the reduction of internal reflections, which in turn reduces the power received by the PD from the LD, etc., then the LD current will not be controlled, and the components of the circuit may be heated and burned.

https://www.twovolt.com/2016/08/23/laser-diode-driver-using-transistors/
https://www.teamwavelength.com/laser-diode-driver-basics/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes tPS and Rive
tPS said:
...the brightness is even dimmer than another laser diode that I got from a presentation pen.
That's normal: they are different type. An optical drive does not need that much power as a pointer, but it needs precision.

Likes tPS and berkeman
Baluncore said:
Do not look into the beam. The diode may appear to be dim if seen from the side. Aim the laser diode at a white sheet of paper to scatter the light so you can see the colour without risk to your eyesight. An unknown laser diode may be an IR diode, invisible to you. Take great care.
I didnt look directly into the beam, I compare the brightness by aiming it onto the wall next to me, thanks for the concerning 😅😅

Baluncore said:
You used two cells in series which could be between 2.4 and 3.3 V, depending on the chemistry of the battery. A red, 660 nm laser diode should have a forward voltage of about; 1240 / 660 nm = 1.87 V.

To limit current to say about 10 mA, with a 3.3 V supply, you will need a series resistor of about; ( 3.3 - 1.87 ) / 10 mA = 150 ohms. Anything near that will do for a quick test.
I don't have any resistor on hand, but I would definitely go buy some a few days later! Thank you!

alan123hk said:
There are two basic units inside the laser diode, namely LD and PD. LD stands for laser diode and PD stands for photodiode. In order to control the correct laser power output, the driver uses negative feedback topology to control the current of the LD based on the output of the PD.

Obviously, if the feedback control circuit is damaged or disturbed, for example, the original shielding structure is removed, the PD will be incorrectly affected by ambient light, the loss of the shielding structure (including the collimating lens) will also cause the reduction of internal reflections, which in turn reduces the power received by the PD from the LD, etc., then the LD current will not be controlled, and the components of the circuit may be heated and burned.
So if I leave out the PD pin, the laser diode would attempt to work on it's maximum power and burn itself?

Rive said:
That's normal: they are different type. An optical drive does not need that much power as a pointer, but it needs precision.
it was a rewritable drive so i assumed the power of it would be higher than the laser pointer

1. What is a laser diode circuit?

A laser diode circuit is a device that uses a laser diode to produce a coherent and concentrated beam of light. It typically consists of a power source, a laser diode, and other components such as lenses and mirrors to shape and direct the laser beam.

2. What are the common problems with laser diode circuits?

Some common problems with laser diode circuits include overheating, power supply issues, and incorrect wiring or connections. These issues can lead to reduced performance or even damage to the laser diode.

3. How can I troubleshoot a problem with my laser diode circuit?

The first step in troubleshooting a laser diode circuit is to check all connections and wiring for any loose or incorrect connections. You should also ensure that the power supply is providing the correct voltage and current for the laser diode. If these steps do not solve the problem, it may be necessary to replace the laser diode or other components.

4. How can I prevent problems with my laser diode circuit?

To prevent problems with your laser diode circuit, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance. This may include using a heat sink to prevent overheating, using a stable and appropriate power supply, and avoiding any physical damage to the laser diode or its components.

5. Can I repair a malfunctioning laser diode circuit?

In most cases, it is not possible to repair a malfunctioning laser diode circuit. If the issue is with the laser diode itself, it will likely need to be replaced. If the issue is with other components, they may be able to be replaced, but it is recommended to consult a professional for repairs to ensure proper functioning and safety of the circuit.