Detecting Trace Metal Contamination in Lab Rooms: Methods and Protocols

• Thread starter Hedgehog88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the speaker is seeking to measure trace metal contamination in the air of a lab room. They have read about a method using concentrated nitric acid on a hot plate and ICPMS, but are unsure of how it works. Another person suggests using air sampling with special filters and protocols, and recommends consulting the EPA or a similar organization for more information. The speaker also mentions their ability to detect low concentrations of mercury through smell.
Hedgehog88
Hi everyone, I want to figure out exactly how clean a particular lab room is (in terms of trace metal contamination). I’ve read papers where people have simply left a vial of high conc. nitric acid on a hot plate to concentrate it, then measure contamination from lab air using an ICPMS. I don’t really understand how that would work though, can anyone explain it, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what you are trying to do. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "trace metal contamination of a room"? Air? Surfaces?

Um, I've the odd knack of being able to smell Mercury and such at surprisingly low concentrations.
( Also 'blown' fuses when such were open-wire rather than 'cartridge'... ;-)

Back when we had mercury thermometers, I could literally 'follow my nose' to which bench-end sink in our labs had been contaminated by a breakage. The perp had usually recovered all globules from around the plug-hole, but there would be just enough in the trap to require plastic bucket, zinc powder, spillage kit etc etc...

IIRC, our in-house 'Environment Monitor' used special air-filters and a calibrated air-pump to sample rooms.

There will be strict protocols to follow, to ensure result is robust. I'd suggest you begin with EPA or your equivalent.

What is metal contamination and how does it occur?

Metal contamination refers to the presence of metallic substances in an environment where they are not supposed to be. This can occur through various means such as accidental spills, leaks from machinery, or improper disposal of metal waste.

What are the potential health hazards of metal contamination in a room?

Metal contamination can pose serious health hazards, depending on the type and amount of metal present. Some metals, such as lead and mercury, can be toxic and cause neurological, respiratory, and digestive problems. Other metals, such as nickel and chromium, can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions.

How can I test for metal contamination in a room?

There are various methods for testing metal contamination in a room, including surface swabbing, air sampling, and water testing. These tests can identify the types and levels of metals present and help determine the best course of action for remediation.

What are the common sources of metal contamination in a room?

The most common sources of metal contamination in a room include industrial processes, such as metalworking and plating, as well as household products like paint, batteries, and cleaning products. Other sources can include old pipes, contaminated soil, and nearby industrial sites.

How can metal contamination in a room be prevented or remediated?

Preventing metal contamination involves proper handling and disposal of metal waste, regular maintenance of machinery, and using protective measures, such as ventilation systems, to contain metal particles. Remediation methods may include cleaning and decontamination, as well as removing and replacing contaminated materials.