Determination of an Acid (Monoprotic) by Titration Lab

In summary, the individual is having trouble finding information on an unknown substance with a molar mass of 209.70 g/mol. They have found two similar substances with molar masses of 217.907 g/mol and 198.819 g/mol, but are confident in their accuracy to 2.7%. They are asking for suggestions on other lists or databases to use for solving this problem, and are informed that using a database may result in hundreds of hits. The individual is also asked if they have more information to use, such as melting point or qualitative tests, and if the unknown acid is inorganic or organic, and if there is more than one acid present in the sample.
Grant
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
I tried looking for my unknown (209.70 g/mol) online and couldn't find it. The closest I found were H4O7V2(217.907 g/mol) and HCl2I(198.819 g/mol), but I know I am correct to a 2.7% accuracy. What other lists can I use to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plenty of organics that could fit. But i you will use some kind of database you can expect hundreds of hits, so it won't help much. If you are not given a short list to choose from or if you have no other information trying to determine the acid identity just from the molar mass is a waste of time.

Likes Grant
Grant,
Do you have more given information to use? Maybe melting point of the sample, or some other qualitative tests? Is your unknown acid supposed to be inorganic, or organic? Have you just ONE acid in the sample, or more than one?

What is the purpose of the "Determination of an Acid (Monoprotic) by Titration" lab?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the concentration of an unknown monoprotic acid solution by titrating it with a standardized base solution.

What materials are required for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a burette, pipette, standardized base solution (such as NaOH), indicator solution (such as phenolphthalein), beakers, and the unknown acid solution.

What is the process for conducting a titration in this lab?

The process involves using a burette to add the standardized base solution to a known volume of the unknown acid solution until the endpoint is reached. The endpoint is determined by a color change in the solution, indicated by the addition of the indicator solution. The volume of base solution used to reach the endpoint is then used to calculate the concentration of the unknown acid solution.

What is the significance of a monoprotic acid in this lab?

A monoprotic acid is an acid that can donate only one proton (H+) per molecule. This makes it easier to determine the concentration of the acid solution, as each mole of acid will require one mole of base to reach the endpoint.

What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Potential sources of error in this lab include inaccurate measurements of the base and acid solutions, incorrect reading of the burette, and not properly calibrating the burette before use. Other factors such as temperature changes and impurities in the solutions can also affect the accuracy of the results.