Determination of Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of measuring Ca and Mg concentration in a solution with high levels of PO43-, due to interference with common methods such as flame photometry and complexometric methods with EDTA. The individual prefers complexometric methods but notes that a high pH and the presence of orthophosphates can cause precipitation of magnesium and calcium salts. They suggest checking for alternative chelating agents that work well in lower pH levels. The conversation also mentions a paper from 1961 proposing an alternative titration method that eliminates orthophosphate interference, and suggests the possibility of a standard method that has not yet been discovered.
Baho Ilok
I want to measure the Ca and Mg concentration in a solution that contains up to 250 mg/L of PO43-. Apparently, orthophosphates interfere with both flame photometric methods and complexometric methods with EDTA (or so I've read). Is there a standard method for measuring Ca and Mg in this type of solution?

I am more preferring complexometric methods at the moment because our atomic absorption spectrophotometer is not functioning well. Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Complexometry is a gold standard here.

Problem with orthophosphates is that for EDTA titration you need a high pH, and in high pH and in the presence of orthophosphates you can expect precipitation of weakly soluble magnesium and calcium salts. I am not aware of any standard method of dealing with such situations (doesn't mean there is no one, its been ages since the last time I had to deal with these titrations). I would check if there is no other chelating agent that works nicely in lower pH.

Borek said:
Complexometry is a gold standard here.

Problem with orthophosphates is that for EDTA titration you need a high pH, and in high pH and in the presence of orthophosphates you can expect precipitation of weakly soluble magnesium and calcium salts. I am not aware of any standard method of dealing with such situations (doesn't mean there is no one, its been ages since the last time I had to deal with these titrations). I would check if there is no other chelating agent that works nicely in lower pH.
I found one paper that proposed an alternative titration method that eliminates orthophosphate interference but it was published in 1961. I was wondering though that there was a standard method that I have not yet read about.

Attachments

• Middleton 1961.pdf
    562.1 KB · Views: 620

1. What is the purpose of determining Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions?

The determination of Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions is important in various industries, including agriculture and water treatment, as these elements can affect the efficacy of phosphate-based fertilizers or the formation of scale in water treatment systems.

2. What methods are commonly used for determining Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions?

The most commonly used methods for determining Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions include titration, ion chromatography, and atomic absorption spectroscopy.

3. What are some potential sources of error in the determination of Ca/Mg in orthophosphate-rich solutions?

Potential sources of error in this determination include contamination from other elements, incomplete dissolution of samples, and interference from other ions present in the solution.

4. How can the accuracy of Ca/Mg determination in orthophosphate-rich solutions be improved?

To improve accuracy, it is important to properly calibrate instruments, use high-quality reagents, and carefully control the experimental conditions. Sample preparation and handling techniques can also play a significant role in improving accuracy.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with orthophosphate-rich solutions?

Yes, caution should be taken when handling concentrated solutions of orthophosphates, as they can be corrosive to skin and eyes. Proper personal protective equipment should be worn and all safety protocols should be followed when working with these solutions.