Determine Absolute Convergence, Conditionally Convergent, or Divergent

In summary, the conversation discusses the diverging series of ##\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -3\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}## and how to use various tests, such as the Alternating Series Test and L'Hopital's Rule, to prove its divergence. The correct application of L'Hopital's Rule leads to the conclusion that the series diverges. There is also a mention of Wolfram Alpha stating that the series diverges by the limit test.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

##\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -3\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}##

According to Wolfram Alpha the series diverges by the Limit Comparison Test, but I remember that the limit comparison only works with series greater than zero. How is this possible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Also, I have no clue how to use the alternating series test on this one, since it's (-3)^n in the numerator not (-1)^n or (-1)^n+1

Please, help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that the same as:
[tex]\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\frac {3^n(-1)^n}{n^3}[/tex]

Yes, sorry about that. Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Use the Alternating Series Test.

Yeah, I'm trying to prove that 3^n > n^3

How do you use the Alternating Series Test? There are 2 steps. The first is finding the limit of ##a_n## and testing if it's zero.

Step1: lim as "n" approaches infinity of A_n =0
Step2: A_n > A_(n+1)

Work out the first step and verify if you get zero, or not.

Yeah, that's what I am trying. Supposedly, I doesn't go to zero. Then from the test of divergence, it diverges. However, I don't know how to test it as n goes to infinity.
##\lim _{n\rightarrow \infty }\dfrac {3^{n}} {n^{3}}##

I'm trying to prove that 3^n is much bigger than n^3; therefore, it diverges.

Use L'Hopital's Rule.

Great! Thank you.

## \lim _{n\rightarrow \infty }\dfrac {3^{n}} {n^{3}}\dfrac {H} {-}\dfrac {3^{n}} {9n}\dfrac {H} {-}\dfrac {n3^{n-1}} {9}##

Diverges.

Why would Wolfram Alpha state that by the limit comparison test, the series diverges?

Applying L'Hopital's Rule, your numerator is wrong. What is the derivative of ##3^n##? The derivative of your denominator is also wrong.

(3^n) ln(3)

You'll have to apply L'Hopital's Rule three times to get:
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{3^n (\ln 3)^3}{6}[/tex]

You are correct.
Why would Wolfram Alpha state that by the limit comparison test, the series diverges?

I just put it into WolframAlpha and it said "By the limit test, the series diverges" (not limit comparison).

Related to Determine Absolute Convergence, Conditionally Convergent, or Divergent

1. What is the difference between absolute convergence, conditional convergence, and divergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges when the absolute values of its terms are considered. Conditional convergence refers to a series that converges when the terms themselves are considered, but not when their absolute values are considered. Divergence refers to a series that does not converge at all.

2. How can I determine if a series is absolutely convergent?

A series is absolutely convergent if the absolute value of each term in the series decreases as the series progresses, and the sum of these absolute values is finite.

3. Can a series be both absolutely and conditionally convergent?

No, a series can only be either absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent, but not both. If a series is absolutely convergent, it automatically implies that it is also conditionally convergent.

4. What is the test for determining absolute convergence?

The most commonly used test for determining absolute convergence is the Comparison Test, which compares the given series to a known series with similar properties to determine if it is absolutely convergent.

5. How can I determine if a series is divergent?

If the limit of the terms in the series does not approach zero, then the series is divergent. Additionally, if the terms in the series do not decrease in magnitude as the series progresses, then the series is also divergent.