Study the convergence and absolute convergence of the following series

In summary: If the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n## diverges and ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} b_n =0 ## and the sequence ##{b_n}## is decreasing, then I can apply ##Leibniz## alternating series test.So, now, in order to check point 2, I use one of the tests for positive series, which can be- ##ratio~test## or - ##root~test ## or- ##comparison~test## or-##asymptotic~comparison~test##Which test should I use?The
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
study convergence and absolute convergence
Relevant Equations
numerical series
## \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {log(n)}{e^n}##

i take the absolute value and consider just

## \frac {log(n)}{e^n}##

i check by computing the limit if the necessary condition for convergence is satisfied

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {log(n)}{e^n} =\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1}{ne^n}=0 ##

condition satisfied, now how do i find the rest? with which function can i compare it in order to find if it absolutely converges or not?
in the sense that, at this point i should find some serie for which i know the behaviour, then through comparison or asymptotic comparison i ca find out if the series converges or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: study convergence and absolute convergence
Homework Equations:: numerical series

## \frac {log(n)}{e^n}##

i check by computing the limit if the necessary condition for convergence is satisfied

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {log(n)}{e^n} =\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1}{ne^n}=0 ##

condition satisfied, now how do i find the rest?
But this condition is not sufficient. For example, the same limit for the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 n## is zero, but this series (harmonic series) is known to diverge.

Can you determine that the series itself converges - not the series of absolute values?

DottZakapa said:
with which function can i compare it in order to find if it absolutely converges or not?
in the sense that, at this point i should find some series for which i know the behaviour, then through comparison or asymptotic comparison i ca find out if the series converges or not.
What other tests for convergence do you know? Some common tests other than the comparison test are the limit comparison test, ratio test, and a couple of others.

BTW, "serie" isn't a word in English. "Series" is both singular and plural.

Mark44 said:
BTW, "serie" isn't a word in English. "Series" is both singular and plural.

Thanks for the correction :)

Mark44 said:
But this condition is not sufficient. For example, the same limit for the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 n## is zero, but this series (harmonic series) is known to diverge.

Yes is not sufficient but is a necessary according to one theorem.
But in case such limit is not zero, tells me that the series does not converges, hence i can stop there. If I understood correctly.

If it is zero i proceed applying the tests in order to find out if it converges or not.

Being a series with alternating signs, in order to study the simple and absolute convergence

1) I study the behaviour of ##\sum_{n=n0}^\infty |a_n|=\sum_{n=n0}^\infty b_n ##

2) If the series ##\sum_{n=n0}^\infty b_n## converges, then ##\sum_{n=n0}^\infty a_n ## converges absolutely and converges.

3) If the series ##\sum_{n=n0}^\infty b_n## diverges and ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} b_n =0 ## and the sequence ##{b_n}## is decreasing i can apply ##Leibniz## alternating series test.

So, now, in order to check point 2 i use one of the tests for positive series , which can be
- ##ratio~test## or
- ##root~test ## or
- ##comparison~test## or
-##asymptotic~comparison~test##

Am I correct?

DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: study convergence and absolute convergence
Homework Equations:: numerical series

## \frac {log(n)}{e^n}##
I proceeded as follows:

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty |(-1)^n \frac {log(n)}{e^n}| = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {log(n)}{e^n}##

I apply the ## Root~Test##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {log(n)}{e^n}~=~\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n]{\frac {log(n)}{e^n}}~=~\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {log(n)^\left(\frac 1 n \right)}{e}~=~ \frac 1 e \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} log(n)^\left(\frac 1 n \right)##
the ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {log(n)} {n} =~0##, therefore, being ##l<1## the series converges absolutely.

Is the procedure correct?

Looks fine to me.

1. What is convergence and absolute convergence?

Convergence is when a series approaches a fixed value as the number of terms increases. Absolute convergence is when the series converges regardless of the order of its terms.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the series or integral and comparing it to known values.

3. What is the importance of studying convergence and absolute convergence?

Studying convergence and absolute convergence allows us to determine whether a series has a finite sum or not. This is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where series and sequences are used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can a series have absolute convergence but not convergence?

Yes, a series can have absolute convergence but not convergence. This means that the series will have a finite sum when the absolute values of its terms are added, but when the signs of the terms are taken into account, the series may not converge.

5. How does the rate of convergence affect the absolute convergence of a series?

The rate of convergence does not affect the absolute convergence of a series. A series with a rate of convergence that is slower than another series may still have absolute convergence, as long as the series approaches a fixed value as the number of terms increases.