Solve Impulse Response Homework - h(n), x(n), y(k)

In summary: But yes, you will need to convolve x[n] and h[n] to find the output y[n]. The convolution sum involves multiplying the two signals and shifting one of them, then summing the results. You can find more information on how to perform convolution online or in a textbook.
maearnie

Homework Statement

I have an impulse response h(n)=e^(0.1n)*[u(n)-u(n-8)] and an input x(n)={0,1,2,3,0}, how do I find the output y(k)?
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know how to solve. should i try convolution or should i substitute the values of x(n) in h(n). and idk why its y(k) instead of y(n) you don't need to put the exact solution. you just need to explain what i need to do. thanks :)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
For a discrete time LTI (Linear Time Inviariant) system, the output is completely determined by the output and the impulse response, which is the response to an impulse funtion (often called delta function). d[n] with d[0] =1 and d[x] = 0 if x<>0.
if you know the response to d[n], you know the response to d[n-t], and any input signal is a linear combination of impulse functions with different time shifts.
The way to determine this is the convolution sum. See here for example:
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~ahouse/mirror/engi7824/course_notes_7824_part6.pdf

willem2 said:
For a discrete time LTI (Linear Time Inviariant) system, the output is completely determined by the output and the impulse response, which is the response to an impulse funtion (often called delta function). d[n] with d[0] =1 and d[x] = 0 if x<>0.
if you know the response to d[n], you know the response to d[n-t], and any input signal is a linear combination of impulse functions with different time shifts.
The way to determine this is the convolution sum. See here for example:
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~ahouse/mirror/engi7824/course_notes_7824_part6.pdf

Thanks for your response!
So i just need to convolve x(n) and h(n)? and the answer is y(n)? how will it become y(k) tho?

maearnie said:
So i just need to convolve x(n) and h(n)? and the answer is y(n)? how will it become y(k) tho
Sorry, I have no idea why they use y[k] and not y[n].

1. What is impulse response?

Impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse is applied as the input. It is a function that describes how a system responds to a brief input signal, often represented by the letter h(n).

2. What is the difference between h(n), x(n), and y(k)?

h(n) is the impulse response, x(n) is the input signal, and y(k) is the output signal. The impulse response describes how the system responds to a single input, while the input signal is the actual input applied to the system. The output signal is the result of processing the input signal through the system.

3. How do I solve impulse response homework?

To solve impulse response homework, you will need to use the convolution operation. This involves multiplying the input signal with the impulse response and then summing the products. The resulting signal will be the output of the system.

4. What are the applications of impulse response?

Impulse response is used in various fields such as signal processing, communication systems, control systems, and acoustics. It is used to analyze and design systems, as well as to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can I use software to solve impulse response homework?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can help you solve impulse response homework. These programs use algorithms to perform the convolution operation and provide the output signal. However, it is important to understand the concept and process behind solving impulse response in order to use these tools effectively.