Determine the magnetic field inside and outside the cable using Ampere's law

In summary, the problem at hand is to find an expression for the current when the current density is given as k/r, where k is a constant and r is the distance from the center of the inner conductor. The cables have radii a and b, and we need to find the total current enclosed by a circular path of radius d, where d is less than or equal to a. In order to do this, we need to integrate the current density over the circular region, taking into account that the current density varies with distance from the center. However, it is unclear what the upper boundary for integration should be, as the current must be constant. The conversation also discusses the relationship between r and s, and how to mathematically express
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
For electrical installations in homes and buildings, it is important to have control over electric and magnetic fields so that they do not disturb the environment in an undesirable way. Coaxial cables are very popular for transmitting information, they consist of an inner (circular) conductor with radius a and a thin outer conductor (shield) with radius b. Both conductors are separated by air. The inner conductor conducts a current whose current density decreases with distance, so that J(r) = k/r where k is a constant. The outer conductor conducts an equal current in the opposite direction. Determine the magnetic field inside and outside the cable.
Relevant Equations
Amperes law, definition of current density.
My attempt:
IMG_0593.jpeg

I realized after i had tried to solve the problem that the current must be constant in the cables. But no information about where the cables has radius a and b is given so how would I go about to find an expression for the current?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You said in the problem statement that the current density goes as k/r
integrate that wrt r in the inner cable, set that equal to total current flow in the outer THIN cable

a is the radius of a cylinder that conducts everywhere inside it - it is a SOLID cylinder
b is the radius of the larger HOLLOW cylinder.
Might want to google coaxial cable to get a picture, your drawing doesn't look to convincing,

Does this help?

note that in your case b=c
1583447568130.png

Replusz said:
You said in the problem statement that the current density goes as k/r
integrate that wrt r in the inner cable, set that equal to total current flow in the outer THIN cable
J(r) = I/A(r) is that right?
Why will integration of k/r be equal to the total current flow in the outer cable (what boundaries of integration?) or do you only mean the primitive function? Under what conditions?

Thanks!

In order to find ##B## inside the inner conductor, you need to be able to find the total current inside a circular region of radius ##d##, where ##d \leq a##, as shown below. Can you think of a way to do this? You have to take into account that the current density ##j## varies with distance ##r## from the center.

1583451159791.png

TSny said:
In order to find ##B## inside the inner conductor, you need to be able to find the total current inside a circular region of radius ##d##, where ##d \leq a##, as shown below. Can you think of a way to do this? You have to take into account that the current density ##j## varies with distance ##r## from the center.

View attachment 258193
Yeah, I know I didn't do correct at the places where you pointed out because the current must be constant, right? If the current density varies with distance then the area must also vary with distance because J(r) = I/A(r), is that not correct? The answer on your question is no, I cannot think of a way to find the current enclosed by a circular loop. How would you do it?

Thanks!

Have you done integrations over a circular region by breaking the region into concentric thin rings?

TSny said:
Have you done integrations over a circular region by breaking the region into concentric thin rings?
Yes, the expression under the integral would then be k/r * 2*pi*s*ds , but what will the upper boundary for s be? The radius of the cable can't be a everywhere since the current must be constant right?

Karl Karlsson said:
Yes, the expression under the integral would then be k/r * 2*pi*s*ds ,
You are letting s denote the radius of a ring. OK. The picture would then look like
1583466127586.png

But what about the value of r in your expression k/r * 2*pi*s*ds? Think about what r represents here. Is r related to s?

but what will the upper boundary for s be? The radius of the cable can't be a everywhere since the current must be constant right?
When you applied Ampere's law, you chose a circular "Amperian" path of radius d. So, in applying the law, you need to know how much current is "enclosed" by this path. Can you see what the limits of integration should be for finding the enclosed current?

TSny said:
Is r related to s?
It must be in order for current to be constant.

TSny said:
When you applied Ampere's law, you chose a circular "Amperian" path of radius d. So, in applying the law, you need to know how much current is "enclosed" by this path. Can you see what the limits of integration should be for finding the enclosed current?
My answer is still no.

Karl Karlsson said:
It must be in order for current to be constant.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the current is constant. You are given a formula for the current density J = k/r. Here, r is a variable that represents distance from the center of the inner conductor. Suppose we consider two small patches of area, shown as blue squares below
1583509538423.png

Each patch has the same area dA. Which of the two patches has more current flowing through it?

How would you express mathematically the amount of current flowing through each patch?

TSny said:
I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the current is constant. You are given a formula for the current density J = k/r. Here, r is a variable that represents distance from the center of the inner conductor. Suppose we consider two small patches of area, shown as blue squares below
View attachment 258233

Each patch has the same area dA. Which of the two patches has more current flowing through it?

How would you express mathematically the amount of current flowing through each patch?
Ooh, now I see. Whoever created this problem should have formulated differently and not written that current density decreases with distance. I thought they meant decreases with distance along the length of the cable but the meant along the radius. Now I get the correct answer. Thanks!

Likes TSny

1. What is Ampere's law and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the electric current passing through that loop. This means that by using Ampere's law, we can determine the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying cable.

2. How do you determine the magnetic field inside a cable using Ampere's law?

To determine the magnetic field inside a cable using Ampere's law, we need to calculate the total current passing through a closed loop around the cable. This can be done by integrating the current density over the cross-sectional area of the cable. Once we have the total current, we can use Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field at any point inside the cable.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field inside a cable?

The magnetic field inside a cable is affected by the current passing through the cable, the distance from the cable, and the material properties of the cable. The strength of the magnetic field increases with the current and decreases with distance from the cable. The material properties of the cable, such as its permeability, can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How do you determine the magnetic field outside a cable using Ampere's law?

To determine the magnetic field outside a cable using Ampere's law, we need to use the same process as determining the field inside the cable. However, in this case, we need to consider the current passing through the cable as well as the current returning through the surrounding medium. This can be done by using the total current passing through a larger loop that encloses both the cable and the surrounding medium.

5. Can Ampere's law be used to determine the magnetic field in any situation?

Ampere's law can only be used to determine the magnetic field in situations where the electric current is steady and the magnetic field is constant over time. It also assumes that the medium surrounding the current-carrying cable is homogeneous and isotropic. In more complex situations, other laws and equations may need to be used to accurately determine the magnetic field.