Determine the number of times the magnetic field has wound around the Sun

In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of times the magnetic field has wound around the Sun at a heliocentric distance of 70 AU. The person is unsure of how to approach the problem and suggests finding a relation between the circumference of the Sun and the distance. They also mention the relevance of the location of the magnetic field source, which they believe to be at a distance of 10 times the radius of the Sun. The other person suggests investigating the interplanetary magnetic field and finding its base and how the field lines are carried outwards. They also provide a hint to find the radial speed. The conversation ends with a mention of the angular velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field and a resource for further investigation.
Imagin_e

Homework Statement

Hi,
I know that this probably is easy to calculate, but I have the ability to thing the opposite about problems, therefore I'm stuck with this one. The question is

Determine the number of times the magnetic field has wound around the Sun by a heliocentric distance of 70 AU.

Homework Equations

I guess that I have to find a relation between the circumference of the Sun (or a circle generally) and the length of something, in this case L=70 AU. But as I mentioned, I really don't know what to do.

Is it relevant to determine where the magnetic field source is located? If yes, then R=10Rs (Rs = radius of the Sun).

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to do some investigation on the topic of the interplanetary magnetic field. Find out where its base is "locked" to the rotation of the Sun, and how the field lines are carried outwards (what entrains the field lines?). Hint: find the radial speed.

I assume that the angular velocity for a charged particle in a magnetic field is:
T=2*π*m/qB ; m should be the mass of an electron (?) , q=the charge , B = magnetic field strength, which I have. And where it is "locked", isn't it the 10*Rs that I mentioned?
Thanks btw!

Take a look here to begin with.

What is the purpose of determining the number of times the magnetic field has wound around the Sun?

Determining the number of times the magnetic field has wound around the Sun can provide important information about the Sun's activity and its effect on the Earth's environment, including potential disruptions to communication and navigation systems.

How is the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field measured?

The number of windings can be measured by observing the Sun's magnetic field lines and tracking their movement over time. This can be done through satellite measurements or ground-based observations using specialized instruments.

What is the current estimate for the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field?

As of 2021, the current estimate for the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field is approximately 10-12 times. However, this number may vary depending on the method of measurement and the time period being observed.

How does the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field affect space weather?

The number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field can influence the strength and frequency of solar flares and coronal mass ejections, which can have significant impacts on space weather and Earth's magnetic field.

What are the potential implications of changes in the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field?

Changes in the number of windings around the Sun's magnetic field can affect the Earth's climate, communication and navigation systems, and can even pose a threat to astronauts and satellites in space. Understanding these changes can help us better prepare and mitigate potential risks.