Determine the perpendicular distance for couple

In summary: why not 91.2 x 2 = 184 mm ? this is becase when we calculate the sum of couple moment , we will need to consider both side
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

two 50N are applied to the corner B and D , determine the moment of couple formed by the two forces by resolving each force into the horizontal and vertical component and adding the two resulting couples . Use the result to determine the perpendicular distance between the line BE and DF

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i gt only Bx = 50sin50 = 38.3N (right)
By = 50cos50 = 32.1N ( down)

Dx= 50 sin50 = 38.2 (left)
Dy = 50 cos50 = 32.1N (up)

how to get the perpendicular distance ?
btw , i have used another method which is not relevant to the question asked , whoch is tan 50 = O / 300
O= 357.5mm
hence , perpendicular deistance = 500-357.5mm = 142.5mm

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 871
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

two 50N are applied to the corner B and D , determine the moment of couple formed by the two forces by resolving each force into the horizontal and vertical component and adding the two resulting couples . Use the result to determine the perpendicular distance between the line BE and DF

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i gt only Bx = 50sin50 = 38.3N (right)

how to get the perpendicular distance ?
btw , i have used another method which is not relevant to the question asked , whoch is tan 50 = O / 300
O= 357.5mm
hence , perpendicular deistance = 500-357.5mm = 142.5mm

This last calculation does not give the perpendicular distance between the lines of the two forces.

The distance O = 357.5 mm is measured along the edge of the plate, and so is the difference 500 - 357.5 = 142.5 mm.

You must find the distance between the line of each force measured perpendicular to each, similar to what is shown below:

5.png

SteamKing said:
This last calculation does not give the perpendicular distance between the lines of the two forces.

The distance O = 357.5 mm is measured along the edge of the plate, and so is the difference 500 - 357.5 = 142.5 mm.

You must find the distance between the line of each force measured perpendicular to each, similar to what is shown below:

5.png
CAN YOU GIVE SOME HINT HOW TO FIND ?

goldfish9776 said:
CAN YOU GIVE SOME HINT HOW TO FIND ?
Follow the original directions stated in the problem. Don't go straying off topic.

SteamKing said:
Follow the original directions stated in the problem. Don't go straying off topic.
how to find ? i have only
Bx = 50sin50 = 38.3N (right)

if i sum up them , i would get 0 .

goldfish9776 said:
how to find ? i have only
Bx = 50sin50 = 38.3N (right)

if i sum up them , i would get 0 .
You're not supposed to sum them up.

Read the problem statement again. Does it tell you to sum these forces up? Or does it ask you to do something else?

Likes theodoros.mihos
SteamKing said:
You're not supposed to sum them up.

Read the problem statement again. Does it tell you to sum these forces up? Or does it ask you to do something else?
well , force the force at B , i have moment = 50sin50(300) -50cos50(500) = -4560N
for the force at D , i also have moment = 50sin50(300) -50cos50(500) = -4560N

so i would get -9120Nmm / 50 = = 182.4mm , am i right ?

Last edited:
You can calculate the stress by axes and the total couple force stress as ##F\times{D}##. Must be equals.

goldfish9776 said:
well , force the force at B , i have moment = 50sin50(300) -50cos50(500) = -4560N
for the force at D , i also have moment = 50sin50(300) -50cos50(500) = -4560N

so i would get -9120Nmm / 50 = = 182.4mm , am i right ?
You pick one point and calculate the moments of the force components about that point.

If you choose either B or D as the point about which to calculate the total moment, your calculations are greatly simplified. :wink:

SteamKing said:
You pick one point and calculate the moments of the force components about that point.

If you choose either B or D as the point about which to calculate the total moment, your calculations are greatly simplified. :wink:
so the ans = 500(32.1)-300(38.3)=4560Nmm
4560Nmm / 50 = 91.2 mm ?

goldfish9776 said:
so the ans = 500(32.1)-300(38.3)=4560Nmm
4560Nmm / 50 = 91.2 mm ?
Yes, that is correct.

SteamKing said:
Yes, that is correct.
why not 91.2 x 2 = 184 mm ? this is beacuse when we calculate the sum of couple moment , we will need to consider both side ...
so for the diagram below , the sum of couple moment is F1(d/2 ) +F1(d/2 )

so for the question i asked , the 91.2 mm that we gt is only the d/2 only

Attachments

• lopo.png
    lopo.png
    962 bytes · Views: 527
goldfish9776 said:
why not 91.2 x 2 = 184 mm ? this is beacuse when we calculate the sum of couple moment , we will need to consider both side ...
so for the diagram below , the sum of couple moment is F1(d/2 ) +F1(d/2 )

so for the question i asked , the 91.2 mm that we gt is only the d/2 only
Yes, but if you calculate the moments of each force about the midpoint of the distance separating them, then M = F * d/2 + F * d/2 = F * d, since both forces are of equal magnitude.

If F = 500 N and M = 4560 N-mm, what must the distance d be equal to?

SteamKing said:
Yes, but if you calculate the moments of each force about the midpoint of the distance separating them, then M = F * d/2 + F * d/2 = F * d, since both forces are of equal magnitude.

If F = 500 N and M = 4560 N-mm, what must the distance d be equal to?
the d = 91.2mm , but the d here that we gt is only half of the perpendicular distance of the question i asked originally , right ?

goldfish9776 said:
the d = 91.2mm , but the d here that we gt is only half of the perpendicular distance of the question i asked originally , right ?
No, it's not. You still have two forces creating the couple, as I showed you in Post #13.

Take the small diagram you have in Post #12 and calculate moments about one end of d (it doesn't matter which end) and again about the center of d. Each moment you calculate should have the same magnitude.

Likes goldfish9776
SteamKing said:
No, it's not. You still have two forces creating the couple, as I showed you in Post #13.

Take the small diagram you have in Post #12 and calculate moments about one end of d (it doesn't matter which end) and again about the center of d. Each moment you calculate should have the same magnitude.
ok , i think i gt your point

1. What is the definition of perpendicular distance for couple?

The perpendicular distance for couple is the shortest distance between the two forces that make up the couple. It is measured perpendicular to the line of action of the forces.

2. How is the perpendicular distance for couple calculated?

The perpendicular distance for couple can be calculated by finding the moment arm of each force and then finding the shortest distance between the two moment arms. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by taking the cross product of the two forces and dividing it by the magnitude of one of the forces.

3. What is the importance of determining the perpendicular distance for couple?

Determining the perpendicular distance for couple is important in calculating the moment of a couple, which is a key concept in understanding the equilibrium of a system. It also helps in analyzing the stability of structures and in designing machines.

4. Can the perpendicular distance for couple be negative?

Yes, the perpendicular distance for couple can be negative if the two forces are acting in opposite directions with respect to the moment arm. In this case, the value of the perpendicular distance would be negative, indicating that the direction of the moment is opposite to the direction of the forces.

5. How does the perpendicular distance for couple affect the magnitude of the moment?

The perpendicular distance for couple is directly proportional to the magnitude of the moment. This means that the longer the perpendicular distance, the larger the moment will be. Therefore, determining the correct perpendicular distance is crucial in accurately calculating the moment of a couple.