Determining the magnitude of the resultant couple

In summary, the magnitude of the couple is found by taking the distance between the lines of action of the two forces. The direction of the couple is found by looking at the direction of the line of action that is perpendicular to the plane containing the lines of action of the forces.
Pascal1p
phpREiYcV.png

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude and coordinate angles of the resultant couple moment, caused by the forces.

Homework Equations

M= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

M3= -0.2* 80k= -16k
M2= 0.2* 120i= 24i
M1= -0.2*100j= -20j
M4= r x F= ?

I just can't seem to be able to expres r into a vector, I tried to first determine the coordinates of the ends of the bar on which the tips of the arrows of F4 and -F4 lie. And then use this to calculate the vector that specifies the distance between them. Sadly without succes. Using the geometry to find the coordinates won't work for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:
phpREiYcV.png

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude and coordinate angles of the resultant couple moment, caused by the forces.

Homework Equations

M= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

M3= -0.2* 80k= -16k
M2= 0.2* 120i= 24i
M1= -0.2*100j= -20j
M4= r x F= ?

I just can't seem to be able to expres r into a vector, I tried to first determine the coordinates of the ends of the bar on which the tips of the arrows of F4 and -F4 lie. And then use this to calculate the vector that specifies the distance between them. Sadly without succes. Using the geometry to find the coordinates won't work for me.

For M4, it's not important to find the coordinates of r. What is important is to find the component of F4 which acts at right angles to r in order to calculate the couple created there.

Still, given the orientation of r with respect to the three coordinate planes, you should have been able to find its coordinates. Did you make a sketch before doing your calculations?

Pascal1p, the magnitude of a couple is easily found using the distance between the lines of actions of the two forces. How is the direction of the couple related to the plane containing the lines of action of the forces?

1. What is the magnitude of the resultant couple?

The magnitude of the resultant couple is the measure of the strength or intensity of the combined rotational forces acting on an object. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How do you determine the magnitude of the resultant couple?

The magnitude of the resultant couple can be determined by finding the product of the force and the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation. This can be calculated using the formula M = F x d, where M is the resultant couple, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the resultant couple?

The magnitude of the resultant couple is affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces, as well as the distance between the forces and the axis of rotation. In addition, the angle between the forces can also impact the magnitude of the resultant couple.

4. Can the magnitude of the resultant couple be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant couple can be negative. This occurs when the forces are acting in opposite directions and create a counter-clockwise rotation.

5. How is the magnitude of the resultant couple represented?

The magnitude of the resultant couple is typically represented by a vector arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the couple and the direction indicating the direction of rotation. It can also be represented numerically in units of Nm or lb-ft.