Help with Statics -- Moment of a Couple

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem using the formula M=F x r. The person is explaining their thought process for solving the problem and how they arrived at the correct solution. They also mention a similar problem that is causing confusion. The solution is to break up the forces into their components and find the magnitude of the couple for each component, taking into account the perpendicular distance between the forces. This is different from their previous understanding, but the solution online clearly shows the correct method.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

This is the problem I'm having problems with.
2016-09-25 (4).png

Homework Equations

M=F x r

The Attempt at a Solution

Let me explain what I've been doing with the practice problems before it, because I fear I may have the wrong understanding.

2016-09-25.png

For this exercise I just found the perpendicular distance between the couple vectores and put the vectors in cartersian form, then I used the vector product. I know the solution is right there but this is what I did when doing it on my own and got the same result.

2016-09-25 (1).png

I thught I had managed to do this exercise fairly easily but now its confusing me because I think it is similar to the one I'm having probles with but when I try to apply similar steps I'm not getting the correct result. For this one again I found the perpendicular distances between the couple vectors and then multiplied them to get the moment. I thought I had understood why only some components made couples but now I'm confused with the x components of the 50lb force. I thought that since it was in the same direction as the perpendiclar distance that they didn't make a couple but then I noticed that there's a 1ft perpendicular distance. Perhanps it's because the distance isn't BETWEEN THEM?

2016-09-25 (3).png

Again I was able to do this one easy peasy by finding the distance between the vectors and using vector product.

2016-09-25 (4).png

Now back to this one. I separated each force into its components. I THOUGHT the perpendicular distanceof the 5kN forces was 3m and the perp distance of F was 1, but that didn't work out and I'm not getting the result. I saw a solution online

upload_2016-9-25_11-35-47.png

I don't understand why they are using both components and why two components of different vectors, say the x components of the F vector and the x component of the 5kN vector, they have the same distance, WHHYYY? Why can't I apply the same logic as before?

Attachments

• 2016-09-25 (4).png
    2016-09-25 (4).png
    11 KB · Views: 3,496
  • 2016-09-25 (4).png
    2016-09-25 (4).png
    11 KB · Views: 924
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the magnitude of a couple is force times perpendicular distance, but in your case the perp distance is not readily determined, so it is easier to break up the force into its x and y components. Then the magnitude of a couple is the algebraic sum of the couples of each component. Note in your example that the x component forces also have a perp distance between them because of the 1 m separation. The solution clearly shows this.

What is a moment of a couple?

A moment of a couple is a measure of the rotation caused by two equal and opposite forces acting on a body at different points. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the forces.

How do you calculate the moment of a couple?

To calculate the moment of a couple, you first need to identify the two equal and opposite forces acting on a body and determine their magnitude and direction. Then, you need to find the perpendicular distance between the forces. Finally, you can multiply the magnitude of one of the forces by the perpendicular distance to calculate the moment of the couple.

What are the units for the moment of a couple?

The moment of a couple is typically measured in newton-meters (N·m) or pound-feet (lb·ft) in the metric and imperial systems, respectively.

What is the difference between a couple and a force?

A couple and a force both involve the application of a force on an object, but they have different effects. A force causes linear motion, while a couple causes rotational motion. Additionally, a force has a single point of application, whereas a couple has two points of application.

How can the moment of a couple be balanced?

The moment of a couple can be balanced by applying an equal and opposite moment to counteract the rotation. This can be achieved by either adjusting the magnitude or direction of one of the forces in the couple. Alternatively, a third force can be applied in a different location to create a counteracting moment.