Determine the relationship between θB and θA

• Thread starter Richie Smash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary: Once you have drawn all the cases, post them here so we can have a look and give you feedback.In summary, the Homework Statement is about a prism that can be used to reflect a laser beam. The relationship between θA and angle AXW is unknown, but the relationship between θB and angle AXW is perpendicular and the relationship between θA and angle AXW is that they add up to 90 degrees. If the incoming beam is perpendicular to the base, and the beam XY is parallel to the base, there is not much choice left. Every angle in the diagram is either 900, or 450.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

In the figure shown, a prism ABC can be used to reflect a laser beam such as WXYZ.

Determine the relationship between θB and θA

Homework Equations

Sin(c) = 1/(refractive index)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I am not sure at all, I know that for total internal reflection to occur, the angle of incidence must be greater than the critical angle which is not given, but I do see that the angle WXY is 90° and since a normal is separating them then θA must be 45 degrees, am I correct in saying this? I don't know how that angle is related to θB though.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• dd.png
    dd.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing to see what you get when ##\theta_b < \theta_a##.

I would get refracted ray such as this?

Attachments

• ji.png
    ji.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 422
Is the beam W perpendicular to the base AC?

yes it is perpendicular to base AC

is anyone out there?... I'm searching for the answers...

Richie Smash said:
is anyone out there?... I'm searching for the answers...
What is the relationship between θA and angle AXW? What is the relationship between θB and that angle?

Richie Smash said:
yes it is perpendicular to base AC
Anything else you didn't mention in the problem statement ?

BvU said:
Anything else you didn't mention in the problem statement ?
Sorry for not mentioning because I thought it would be understood, but all rays entering and exiting are perpendicular, and all internal relflection totally straight, so it would be safe to assume 90 degree angles where necessary, I'm sure of that.

haruspex said:
What is the relationship between θA and angle AXW? What is the relationship between θB and that angle?

Ah yes haruspex I see, θA and angle AXW must add up to 90 because that is a normal that is between them, as for θB and angle AXW...I'm not entirely sure

If the incoming beam is perpendicular to the base, and the beam XY is parallel to the base, there is not much choice left. Every angle in the diagram is either 900, or 450. The prism itself is a 450 prism.

Chandra Prayaga said:
If the incoming beam is perpendicular to the base, and the beam XY is parallel to the base, there is not much choice left. Every angle in the diagram is either 900, or 450. The prism itself is a 450 prism.
In PF, we have a strict rule (8) not to give direct answers, only hints, comments and questions...

Sorry about that. I will take care in the future.

Likes BvU
So if theta A and angle AXW will add up to 90, how is angleAXW related to theta B and then from there how is theta A related to theta B?

Come on !

##\quad \theta_a + \angle {\rm AXW} = 90^\circ##

##\angle {\rm AWX} = 90^\circ ## (as you gave away in a later stage :rolleyes:)

so what about ##\quad \theta_b + \angle {\rm AXW} ## ?

Here goes my attempt kind physics teachers:

θB+90+(90-θA)=180
180+θB-θA=180
θB-θA=0
θB=θA

Right you are (about that kind) :smile:

Now the nice thing about this ##45^\circ## prism is that even if ##\angle AXW\ne 90^\circ## (*), the ray is still reflected in the direction it came from: WX is parallel with YZ.

A bit of practice to show that will do you good !

Greetings from a kind 'teacher' o0)

(*) within limits determined by the Brewster angle

Oh ok, so θA and θB would have been the same even if the angle wasn't 90 degrees then? Also am I safe to assume my answer is correct?

No to the first and yes to the second.

The second even with a caveat: we haven't seen that ##\angle ABC## is exactly 90 degrees in the problem statement, have we ? Are we to assume WX // YZ from thte picture, or is it a given ? because then not only ##\theta_a=\theta_b## but even stronger ##\theta_a=\theta_b=45^\circ##

And for the first: if ##\theta_b = 45^\circ## and WX not ##\perp{}## AC then of course ##\theta_a\ne 45 ^\circ## so a bit more work is at hand to show that WX//YZ

You should draw a number of diagrams carefully. A separate diagram for each case, for example with ∠ABC = 900. and ∠ABC ≠ 900. Follow the rules of reflection and refraction in each case.

Likes BvU
In these questions for this level I am very sure we have to assume it's 90 degrees but I see what you are saying.

1. What is the meaning of θB and θA in this relationship?

θB and θA represent two different angles in a given situation.

2. How do you determine the relationship between θB and θA?

The relationship between θB and θA can be determined by analyzing the given data and using mathematical equations, such as trigonometric functions, to solve for their relationship.

3. Can θB and θA have a direct relationship?

Yes, θB and θA can have a direct relationship, meaning that as one angle increases, the other angle also increases in a proportional manner.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for θB and θA?

Yes, both θB and θA are measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad), depending on the context of the problem.

5. Can the relationship between θB and θA change in different scenarios?

Yes, the relationship between θB and θA can vary depending on the specific situation or problem being analyzed. It is important to consider all relevant factors and data to determine the relationship accurately.