Determine the second derivative of a function

In summary: The chain rule you wrote for part (a) has the first factor as the derivative of f with respect to the argument of f. You need to substitute the argument of f as x+2cos(3x). That's what they meant by "the correct answer will be in terms of f'(x) and f''(x) at the point x=2".You used the right values, they were just in the wrong places. The chain rule you wrote for part (a) has the first factor as the derivative of f with respect to the argument of f. You need to substitute the argument of f as x+2cos(3x). That's what they meant by "the correct answer will be in
kent davidge

Homework Statement

Let ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## a function two times differentiable and ##g: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## given by ##g(x) = f(x + 2 \cos(3x))##.

(a) Determine g''(x).

(b) If f'(2) = 1 and f''(2) = 8, compute g''(0).

Homework Equations

I'm not aware of any.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was thinking about a Taylor expansion of ##f## around ##x##. Is it allowed? Anyway, it was getting very complicated because of the derivatives getting higher and higher (and we have information that ##f## is two times differentiable, no guarantee that it's more than that).

So
for (a) I simply answered that g''(x) = f''(x + 2 cos(3x)). I'm not sure that's enough.
for (b) I noticed that g(0) = f(2) and I asserted that g''(0) = f''(2) = 8. But I do not think that's right because the problem even give f'(2). It would not do it without a reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## a function two times differentiable and ##g: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## given by ##g(x) = f(x + 2 \cos(3x))##.

(a) Determine g''(x).

(b) If f'(2) = 1 and f''(2) = 8, compute g''(0).

Homework Equations

I'm not aware of any.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was thinking about a Taylor expansion of ##f## around ##x##. Is it allowed? Anyway, it was getting very complicated because of the derivatives getting higher and higher (and we have information that ##f## is two times differentiable, no guarantee that it's more than that).

So
for (a) I simply answered that g''(x) = f''(x + 2 cos(3x)). I'm not sure that's enough.
for (b) I noticed that g(0) = f(2) and I asserted that g''(0) = f''(2) = 8. But I do not think that's right because the problem even give f'(2). It would not do it without a reason.
You need to use the chain rule.

tnich said:
You need to use the chain rule
Should I use it for question (a) or (b)?

kent davidge said:
Should I use it for question (a) or (b)?
You should use if for a), and then substitute values for x and the derivatives of f for b).

Likes kent davidge
Thread moved.
@kent davidge, please post questions about derivatives (and integrals) in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section.

Likes kent davidge
consider that one way of thinking about derivatives with the chain rule is that you have a function INSIDE another function. so start with the idea that a chain rule assumes you have a function of the form f(g(x)). what does the derivative look like, according to chain rule?

Likes kent davidge
Thanks for the answers. Using the chain rule I get:

(a) ##g''(x) = f''(h(x))[h'(x)]^2 + f'(h(x))h''(x)##

(b) ##g''(0) = f''(h(0))[h'(0)]^2 + f'(h(0))h''(0) = 1 \times f''(2) - 18 \times f'(2) = -143.##

Correct?

kent davidge said:
Thanks for the answers. Using the chain rule I get:

(a) ##g''(x) = f''(h(x))[h'(x)]^2 + f'(h(x))h''(x)##

That's good. Although they probably expect a specific answer using the given ##h(x)##

kent davidge said:
(b) ##g''(0) = f''(h(0))[h'(0)]^2 + f'(h(0))h''(0) = 1 \times f''(2) - 18 \times f'(2) = -143.##

Correct?

Not so good.

Likes kent davidge
PeroK said:
Not so good.
It used the wrong values, is it? The correct result is ##-10##.

Likes PeroK
kent davidge said:
It used the wrong values, is it? The correct result is ##-10##.
You used the right values, they were just in the wrong places.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is the purpose of finding the second derivative of a function?

The second derivative of a function is used to determine the rate of change of the slope of the original function. It can help analyze the concavity and inflection points of a curve, as well as identify the maximum and minimum points of a function.

2. How is the second derivative calculated?

The second derivative is calculated by differentiating the first derivative of a function. This means taking the derivative of the original function twice using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the complexity of the function.

3. What does a positive or negative second derivative indicate?

A positive second derivative indicates that the slope of the original function is increasing, while a negative second derivative indicates that the slope is decreasing. This can help determine the concavity of the curve, with a positive second derivative indicating a concave up shape and a negative second derivative indicating a concave down shape.

4. Can the second derivative be used to find the point of inflection?

Yes, the second derivative can be used to find the point of inflection of a function. The point of inflection is where the concavity of the curve changes, and it can be identified by setting the second derivative equal to zero and solving for the corresponding x-value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the second derivative of a function?

Yes, the second derivative has many real-world applications, such as in physics to analyze the acceleration of an object, in economics to determine the rate of change of marginal cost or revenue, and in engineering to optimize functions and analyze the stability of systems.