Determine the surface of a cardioid

Here's your summary:In summary, the conversation focused on finding the surface that a given cardioid encloses and determining the correct bounds for integration. It was suggested to use the equations ##x = a(2\cos{t} - \cos{2t})## and ##y = a(2\sin{t} - \sin{2t})## to sketch the shape and find the domain of ##t##. The conversation also touched on using integration to find the area of a circle and how to apply this approach to the cardioid. Ultimately, the problem was solved by calculating the points and connecting the dots to determine the bounds for integration.
member 587159

Homework Statement

Consider the cardioid given by the equations:

##x = a(2\cos{t} - \cos{2t})##
##y = a(2\sin{t} - \sin{2t})##

I have to find the surface that the cardioid circumscribes, however, I don't know what limits for ##t## I have to take to integrate over. How can I know that, as I don't know how this shape looks like (or more precisely where it is located)?

Homework Equations

Integration formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know how I have to solve the problem once I have the integral bounds, but I don't know how I have to determine these. In similar problems, we could always eliminate cost and sint by using the identity ##cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1## but neither this nor another way to eliminate the cos, sin seems to work. This makes me think, would it be sufficient if I find the maximum and minimum x-coordinate in function of t using derivatives? Then I would have bounds to integrate over, but this seems like a lot of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:
How can I know that, as I don't know how this shape looks like
That's easy ! calculate a few points and connect the dots ! And when things start to repeat, you know you've passed the bound for ##t## :smile:

Likes member 587159
BvU said:
That's easy ! calculate a few points and connect the dots ! And when things start to repeat, you know you've passed the bound for ##t## :smile:

I have to know what the bound exactly is, so I can use it as my integration bounds.

O ?
Math_QED said:
I have to know what the bound exactly is
But you already have an exact expression for the bound :rolleyes:

BvU said:
O ?
But you already have an exact expression for the bound :rolleyes:

I don't think I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

You wrote down the equations in post #1. They exactly define the bound. A bit corny of me, sorry.
Did you make the sketch? Find the domain of ##t## ?

What would your integral look like ?

The section in your textbook/curriculum where this exercise appears: what's it about ?

Likes member 587159
BvU said:
You wrote down the equations in post #1. They exactly define the bound. A bit corny of me, sorry.

What would your integral look like ?

The section in your textbook/curriculum where this exercise appears: what's it about ?

It's about integration: definite and indefinite integrals. The next chapter deals with arc length.

That answers the last of my three questions. What about the other two ?
let me add another one: do you know two ways to integrate to get the area of a circle ?

I am a bit evasive because I am convinced you will say 'of course' once you have found your way out of this on your own steam...

BvU said:
That answers the last of my three questions. What about the other two ?
let me add another one: do you know two ways to integrate to get the area of a circle ?

I am a bit evasive because I am convinced you will say 'of course' once you have found your way out of this on your own steam...

Yes I can find the integral of ##\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}## so that wouldn't be the problem. It's late now but I will try the problem tomorrow again and answer your questions then.

That's one way. There's a quicker way too. Same way works for the cardioid (but it's admittedly less simple than for a circle -- still an easy integral).

First three (not two) questions in post # 6 are still open ...

And it's ruddy late here too.. :sleep:

Likes member 587159
BvU said:
That's one way. There's a quicker way too. Same way works for the cardioid (but it's admittedly less simple than for a circle -- still an easy integral).

First three (not two) questions in post # 6 are still open ...

And it's ruddy late here too.. :sleep:
Yes I believe you can do x = cos t, y = sin t and then integrate over the correct bounds. I will answer the other questions tomorrow.

get a good sleep ?
Math_QED said:
x = cos t, y = sin t
Isn't good for an area (only one integrand), but it's in the right direction. You need a factor r in both.

##
\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}\ ## are vertical strips, and I'm trying to lure you towards investigating pie pieces (sectors, so to say). As you picked up correctly.

What would the integral for the cardioid area look like with this approach ?

BvU said:

BvU said:
get a good sleep ?
Isn't good for an area (only one integrand), but it's in the right direction. You need a factor r in both.

##
\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}\ ## are vertical strips, and I'm trying to lure you towards investigating pie pieces (sectors, so to say). As you picked up correctly.

What would the integral for the cardioid area look like with this approach ?

I figured out how to solve the problem using your hints. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

Likes member 587159

1. What is a cardioid?

A cardioid is a geometric shape that resembles a heart. It is a type of curve known as an epicycloid, and is formed by tracing a point on a circle as it rolls around another fixed circle.

2. How do you determine the surface area of a cardioid?

The formula for determining the surface area of a cardioid is A = 3πr2, where r is the radius of the circle used to create the cardioid. This formula is derived from the parametric equations for a cardioid.

3. What are the applications of finding the surface area of a cardioid?

The surface area of a cardioid is commonly used in mathematics and physics, particularly in the fields of geometry and mechanics. It is also used in engineering and architecture for designing curved structures, such as arches and domes.

4. Can you explain the process of finding the surface area of a cardioid?

To find the surface area of a cardioid, you first need to determine the radius of the circle used to create the cardioid. Then, you can plug this value into the formula A = 3πr2 to calculate the surface area. Alternatively, you can use integration to find the area under the curve of the cardioid.

5. Are there any real-life examples of cardioids?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of cardioids, such as the shape of a raindrop falling from a dripping faucet, the shape of a lighthouse beam, and the shape of a bell. Cardioids can also be seen in natural formations such as the shells of some sea snails and the petals of certain flowers.