Determine x and y coordinates of resultant force through object

In summary, the problem involves determining the x- and y-coordinates of the point on a concrete slab where the resultant of six vertical loads passes through. By summing the forces and moments, the coordinates were found to be x = -2.60566 and y = 4.8448.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The concrete slab supports the six vertical loads shown. Determine the x- and y-coordinates of the point on the slab through with the resultant of the loading system passes.

Image attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by finding the resultant force. Seeing as how all the forces in the system act in only the z direction I summed them to get:

Rz = 69Kn - 69kN -42kN - 44kN - 67kN - 59kN
= -212 kN

But I'm not sure how I should proceed from this step. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• Statics hwk 10 2.152.png
    Statics hwk 10 2.152.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,952
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Northbysouth! :smile:

Assume that it goes through the position (x,y).

You know it's -212 kN, so what is the moment of that about the x-axis or the y-axis? :wink:

I've managed to solve it now. I did the following:

Rz = -212 kN

Mx = (69kN)(2.3) -(67kN)(3.1+2.3) -(44)(8) -59*(2.3+3.1+2.6)
= -1027. kNm

My = 67*2.3 + 44*6.7 + 69*6.7 -69*5.2
= 552.4 kNm

Mz = 0

M = 1166.224 kNm

Rz*y = -1027.1
y = 4.8448

Rzx = 552.4
x = -2.60566

Thanks for your help.

Related to Determine x and y coordinates of resultant force through object

1. How do you determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force through an object?

To determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force through an object, you will need to use vector addition and trigonometric principles. First, break down all the individual forces acting on the object into their x and y components. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. Finally, use these values to calculate the x and y coordinates of the resultant force.

2. What is the significance of determining the x and y coordinates of the resultant force?

Knowing the x and y coordinates of the resultant force is crucial in understanding the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. It allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the net force, which is essential in predicting the motion of the object.

3. Can you use any method other than vector addition to determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force?

No, vector addition is the only method that can accurately determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force. This is because vector addition takes into account the direction and magnitude of each individual force, which are both necessary in calculating the resultant force.

4. How can you determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force if the object is subjected to more than two forces?

If the object is subjected to more than two forces, you will need to use the same principles of vector addition and trigonometry. First, break down each force into its x and y components. Then, add all the x components and all the y components separately. The sum of these components will give you the x and y coordinates of the resultant force.

5. Is it necessary to determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force if the object is in equilibrium?

Yes, it is still necessary to determine the x and y coordinates of the resultant force even if the object is in equilibrium. This is because an object in equilibrium does not mean that there are no forces acting on it, but rather the net force is equal to zero. By determining the x and y coordinates of the resultant force, we can still understand the effect of all the individual forces on the object.