Horizontal Force in Bottom Member of a Truss

In summary, the problem asks for the horizontal force in the bottom component, and the person is confused by why you divide cos(60)/cos(30). They try to solve it by drawing a free body diagram and noting that the force is given by the expression 5 / cos (30°).
CSawyer717
Hello,
I've been studying for the FE, and this question in the Statics section of the review I am going through has really tripped me up for some reason. I understand Statics, and how to determine forces in X and Y directions, determining X and Y components using trig, etc, etc..

Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but for some reason this problem has me awfully confused. it's in two parts; first part (not shown) just asks what rxns at A and B are (Ra=Rb=5 kN)
second part (in attached image) asks for the horizontal force in the bottom component. I have the solution there, as well - I just have no idea how the solution was reached. what confuses me, is why do you divide cos(60)/cos(30)? I understand where the 60 and 30 degree angles are from - just not sure why you're dividing the two to get the answer.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• statics_truss.PNG
    statics_truss.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
CSawyer717 said:
Hello,
I've been studying for the FE, and this question in the Statics section of the review I am going through has really tripped me up for some reason. I understand Statics, and how to determine forces in X and Y directions, determining X and Y components using trig, etc, etc..

Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but for some reason this problem has me awfully confused. it's in two parts; first part (not shown) just asks what rxns at A and B are (Ra=Rb=5 kN)
second part (in attached image) asks for the horizontal force in the bottom component. I have the solution there, as well - I just have no idea how the solution was reached. what confuses me, is why do you divide cos(60)/cos(30)? I understand where the 60 and 30 degree angles are from - just not sure why you're dividing the two to get the answer.
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Have you tried drawing a free body diagram of the structure?

I have, and I'm still not understanding why you need to divide cos(60)/cos(30). Also, is that 10/2 from the one 10kN vertical force being split between the two members AC and BC? so when you draw your FBD about point A, you're only seeing half of that 10 kN force? i understand the cos(60) is the X component in member AC. I just get hung up where the cos(30) comes into play. do you need to determine the force in member AC from both, point A and point C? and that's where the 30 degree angle comes into play?

very frustrating; at first glance, it seemed like a simple problem - i can't tell if i am over thinking everything or what.

CSawyer717 said:
I have, and I'm still not understanding why you need to divide cos(60)/cos(30). Also, is that 10/2 from the one 10kN vertical force being split between the two members AC and BC? so when you draw your FBD about point A, you're only seeing half of that 10 kN force? i understand the cos(60) is the X component in member AC. I just get hung up where the cos(30) comes into play. do you need to determine the force in member AC from both, point A and point C? and that's where the 30 degree angle comes into play?

very frustrating; at first glance, it seemed like a simple problem - i can't tell if i am over thinking everything or what.
You need to lay out what the individual parts of the expression are telling you. I think you are just confused seeing several parts rolled up into one expression.

You have correctly discerned that (10/2) comes from applying symmetry to the frame.

What force is given by the expression 5 / cos (30°) ?

SteamKing said:
You need to lay out what the individual parts of the expression are telling you. I think you are just confused seeing several parts rolled up into one expression.

You have correctly discerned that (10/2) comes from applying symmetry to the frame.

What force is given by the expression 5 / cos (30°) ?

would that be the vertical component of AC if you made a FBD around point C? So, since you can just apply symmetry, you're able to assume only a 5kN downward force at C, and a force in member AC. then solving for Fac, you come up with Fac=5/cos(30), resulting in Fac=5.77kN. then summing horizontal forces about point A, you get Fab=5.77cos(60), Fab=2.88

oh, wow. you're a magician. thank you very much for the help! there was a ton of overthinking and confusion from just seeing the solution there..

CSawyer717 said:
would that be the vertical component of AC if you made a FBD around point C? So, since you can just apply symmetry, you're able to assume only a 5kN downward force at C, and a force in member AC. then solving for Fac, you come up with Fac=5/cos(30), resulting in Fac=5.77kN. then summing horizontal forces about point A, you get Fab=5.77cos(60), Fab=2.88

oh, wow. you're a magician. thank you very much for the help! there was a ton of overthinking and confusion from just seeing the solution there..
Sometimes, just laying out a force triangle can answer many questions.

1. What is a truss and how does it work?

A truss is a triangular structure made up of straight members connected at their ends by joints. It works by distributing forces evenly across its members, allowing it to support heavy loads with minimal material usage.

2. What is the bottom member of a truss and how does horizontal force affect it?

The bottom member of a truss is the longest and most important member, as it supports the weight of the entire structure. Horizontal force can put additional stress on the bottom member, causing it to bend or buckle if not properly designed and supported.

3. How is the horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss calculated?

The horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss can be calculated using the principle of equilibrium. This involves determining the external horizontal forces acting on the truss and the reactions at the supports, and then using equations to find the forces in each member.

4. What factors affect the horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss?

The horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss is affected by the weight of the structure, external loads such as wind or snow, and the angle and shape of the truss. It is also influenced by the material and dimensions of the bottom member itself.

5. How can the horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss be minimized?

The horizontal force in the bottom member of a truss can be minimized by properly designing the truss to distribute forces evenly and selecting materials with high strength-to-weight ratios. It is also important to consider the orientation and angle of the truss in relation to the direction of external forces. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.