Determining an object's velocity in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw the shape of a particle's motion over time, specifically considering the effect of the particle's motion in the plane and the impact of a third component. The suggestion is to start by drawing the trajectory qualitatively and then considering the effect of the third component.
Marcis231
Homework Statement
An object in motion all the time is represented by the equation
r = a cos (bt + c) i + a sin (bt + c) j + et k With a, b, c, e are constant. Determine the velocity equation and the object's acceleration equation as a function of time and graph the shape of the particle's motion over time.
Relevant Equations
r = a cos (bt + c) i + a sin (bt + c) j + et k
I got the answer for velocity and acceleration. But I don't know how to draw the shape of the particle's motion over time. How to draw it? should we change a,b,c,e into a numbers or not? or we may not to change a,b,c,e?
Please help me how to draw the shape of particle's motion over time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer for velocity and acceleration. But I don't know how to draw the shape of the particle's motion over time. How to draw it? should we change a,b,c,e into a numbers or not? or we may not to change a,b,c,e?
Please help me how to draw the shape of particle's motion over time?

One thing I would do is to just consider the motion in the plane for the moment. That is, what is the shape drawn out in the i and j directions? We have a cosine in the ##\hat i ## (i.e. x) direction and a sine in the ## \hat j ## (i.e. y direction). What shape is parameterised by ## x = r cos(\theta) ## and ## y = r sin(\theta) ##? Once you know that, then you can think about the effect of the ## \hat k ## component. As time ## t ## increases, what happens to the size of ## et ##?

I hope that provides a place to start

Last edited:
I guess you should just draw the trajectory qualitatively. To get an idea, first think about the special case ##e=0##. What curve do you get then? Then think about what ##e \neq 0## does in addition to the special case!

1. How do you convert cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:

x = r*cos(θ)

y = r*sin(θ)

z = z

2. How do you determine the velocity components in cylindrical coordinates?

The velocity components in cylindrical coordinates can be determined by taking the derivatives of the coordinates with respect to time. For example, the radial velocity component would be dr/dt, the tangential velocity component would be r*dθ/dt, and the vertical velocity component would be dz/dt.

3. What is the relationship between cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates and spherical coordinates are both ways of representing points in 3-dimensional space. The main difference is that cylindrical coordinates use a distance from the origin (r), an angle from the x-axis (θ), and a height from the xy-plane (z), while spherical coordinates use a distance from the origin (ρ), an angle from the z-axis (θ), and an angle from the xy-plane (φ).

4. How do you find the magnitude of an object's velocity in cylindrical coordinates?

The magnitude of an object's velocity in cylindrical coordinates can be found using the formula:

√( (dr/dt)^2 + (r*dθ/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2 )

5. Can you use cylindrical coordinates to determine acceleration?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates can be used to determine acceleration. The acceleration components can be found by taking the second derivatives of the coordinates with respect to time. For example, the radial acceleration component would be d^2r/dt^2, the tangential acceleration component would be r*d^2θ/dt^2, and the vertical acceleration component would be d^2z/dt^2.