Determining Linear Independence: v1, v2,...vn, n≥4

In summary, Jeff solved the problem by figuring out that if and only if the vectors are not linearly independent, then any linear combination of them can be expressed as a sum of the individual vectors.
grapnell
How do I determine this:

Problem:
The vectors: v1, v2, ... , vn, n >= 4 and are linearly independent.
Determine if the following vectors are also linearly independent.

a) the vectors v1 - v2, v2 + v3, v3 + v1

b) the vectors v1 - v2, 2(v2 - v3), 3(v3 - v4), ..., n(vn - v1)

c) the vectors v1, v1 + c1v2, v2+c2v3, v3 + c3v4, ..., vn +cnv1
where c1, ... cn are real numbers

If someone could give me a semi detailed to detailed explanation on ow to go about solving a problem like this, rather than just an answer, I would greatly appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear independence / dependence is all about what linear combinations of the vectors sum to zero, right? It would seem that starting down by writing down a general linear combination of your vectors would be a good place to start...

What exactly do you mean by "general" linear combination of my vectors?
Thanks,
Jeff

Rule 1: Learn the definitions!

You can't possibly prove that a set of vectors is or is not "independent" without knowing the definition of "independent".

I'll bet your book defines "independent" in terms of a "linear combination" of vectors so you can't understand "independent" until you know the definition of "linear combination".

Your assignment: go to your textbook and look up the definitions of "independent" and "linear combination".

I already know what that means, I just don't know what you mean by "GENERAL" my teacher uses really weird notation, completely different than what the book uses, plus he barely speaks english, so I am having to learn all of this on my own. If you could just show me and explain to me how to do the problem, I think I can probably pick it up, I just need to figure out where to start. I can easily figure out if a set of vectors is linearly dependent or independent if i know what values are in the vectors, but for some reason, I am just not clicking with this concept in this particular problem, and there are no problems like them in the book, or in any of the other 7 books that I rented from the library.
Thanks and I appreciate your help
Jeff

For example, can you write down an expression that represents any linear combination of the two vectors U and V?

edit: Frederick beat me to it - I was using "general" in its English sense.

Last edited:
"General" just means "not specific". Hurkyl is just suggesting that you write down an expression that can represent any linear combination of the vectors in your problems.

From the definition of "linearly independent" it's trivial to see that if and only if a set of vectors are not linearly independent, you can express anyone of them as a linear combination of the others. Hence, it might be a good idea to see if any of your vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In part a, for example, what is the sum of the first and second vectors?

It doesn't appear as though I can from the given problem. My conclusion is that none of them (a, b or c) are linearly dependent, and are all three linearly independent, because I don't see any vectors that are linear combinations of any other vectors of the set. it just seems too simple. I just feel like I am overlooking something here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sometimes it does help to invent numbers to help figure out the method. Actually, with care you can use numbers for the proof! (but you'll lose this chance to try and develop your algebraic intuition)

For the simplest case, try n = 4 and v1 = (1, 0, 0, 0)^t, v2 = (0, 1, 0, 0)^t, ...

Thanks everyone, I just hit a break through on this... I completely understand now, and you guys are great, thanks for not just giving me the answer, but helping me figure it out. I now know what to do. I just needed to hear it in "plain english"
Thanks again
Jeff

Related to Determining Linear Independence: v1, v2,...vn, n≥4

1. What is linear independence?

Linear independence is a concept in linear algebra that refers to a set of vectors being able to be combined to form any other vector in the same vector space.

2. How can you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

One way to determine linear independence is to use the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors. If the determinant is non-zero, then the vectors are linearly independent. Another way is to check if any of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.

3. What are the properties of linearly independent vectors?

Linearly independent vectors have the property that none of them can be written as a linear combination of the others. This means that they are all unique and cannot be reduced to one another.

4. Can a set of four or more vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of four or more vectors can be linearly independent. The number of vectors in the set does not determine if they are linearly independent, rather it depends on their properties and how they can be combined.

5. Why is determining linear independence important?

Determining linear independence is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a vector space. It also allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations on vectors more efficiently.