Is the set T = {w1,w2,w3} linearly dependent?

In summary: Right, because [I presume] you calculated ##-2w_1-2w_2+2w_3## and got zero. And you wouldn't say "for this case". They are linearly dependent period and these choices of the constants are one way of proving it.
charlies1902

Homework Statement

Suppose that S = {v1, v2, v3} is linearly
independent and
w1 = v2
w2 = v1 + v3
and
w3 = v1 + v2 + v3
Determine whether the set T = {w1,w2,w3} is
linearly independent or linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

Let c1, c2, c3=scalars

c1w1+c2w2+c3w3=0
c1v2+c2v1+c2v3+c3v1+c3v2+c3v3=0
(c2+c3)v1+(c1+c3)v2+(c2+c3)v3=0

c2+c3=0
c1+c3=0
c2+c3=0

solving 1st equation gives: c2=-c3
Plug into 3rd gives: -c3+c3=0 → 0=0 what does this mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means c3 can be anything as long as c1 and c2 are = -c3. in particular not all the c's have to be 0. What does that tell you?

It means T is linearly dependent because in order for it to be independent al c's have to be 0.

So if it had been -c3-c3=0.
c3=-c3
Thus c3=0
That would make it linearly independent right?

charlies1902 said:
It means T is linearly dependent because in order for it to be independent al c's have to be 0.

So if it had been -c3-c3=0.
c3=-c3
Thus c3=0
That would make it linearly independent right?

Yes. But in this case you can easily find particular values not all zero that work. For example ...?

LCKurtz said:
Yes. But in this case you can easily find particular values not all zero that work. For example ...?

I'm not sure what you are asking. if -c3-c3=0 then c3=0
c2=0 and c1=0

charlies1902 said:
I'm not sure what you are asking. if -c3-c3=0 then c3=0
c2=0 and c1=0

Woops, misunderstanding of what I meant. I didn't mean you weren't correct. I was referring to your actual problem, where you can find c's not all zero. To finish that problem you should really display three c's that work by plugging them in ##c_1w_1+c_2w_2 + c_3w_3## and getting ##0##.

Oh I see what you're saying. c3 can be something like 2, then c1=c2=-2. Thus the system is linearly dependent for this case.

charlies1902 said:
Oh I see what you're saying. c3 can be something like 2, then c1=c2=-2. Thus the system is linearly dependent [STRIKE]for this case[/STRIKE].

Right, because [I presume] you calculated ##-2w_1-2w_2+2w_3## and got zero. And you wouldn't say "for this case". They are linearly dependent period and these choices of the constants are one way of proving it.

1. What is the concept of linearly independence?

Linearly independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be represented as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, none of the vectors can be expressed as a scalar multiple of another vector in the set.

2. How can I prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the definition of linear independence, which states that the only solution to the equation a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn = 0, where ai represents scalars and vi represents vectors, is when all the scalars are equal to zero. This can be demonstrated by setting up a system of equations and solving for the scalars.

3. Is the concept of linearly independence important in linear algebra?

Yes, linearly independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra as it helps in determining the dimension of a vector space and finding a basis for a vector space. It also plays a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and understanding transformations.

4. Can a set of vectors be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. These two concepts are mutually exclusive. If a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that at least one vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, making the set linearly dependent. On the other hand, if none of the vectors can be represented as a linear combination of the others, the set is linearly independent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of linearly independence?

Yes, linearly independence has various applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. For example, in computer graphics, linearly independent vectors are used to represent the orientation of 3D objects, and in physics, they are used to describe the motion of particles in a system.