Determining Planck's Constant [Resolved]

• Thread starter Hapablap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses using a graph to determine the value of Planck's constant and provides a calculation that results in a different value than the known value. The suggestion is to use the slope of the line on the graph for more accurate results.
Hapablap
*Edit: Nevermind, I realize where I went wrong!

Homework Statement

The following graph shows the kinetic energy of the most energetic photoelectrons as a function of the frequency of light falling on the cathode in a photoelectric cell.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3421/fwby.jpg

Use the graph to determine the value of Planck's constant.

Homework Equations

E = hf
h = E/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll choose the point where E = 3.0 eV and f = 10.0 Hz for my calculation.

First I'll convert eV to Joules:
3.0 eV x (1.60 x 10^-19 J / 1 eV) = 4.8 x 10^-19 J

Now the calculation:
h = E/f
h = (4.8 x 10^-19 J) / (10.0 x 10^14 Hz)
h = 4.8 x 10^-34 J(s)

We already know that the value of Planck's constant is 6.63 x 10^-34 J(s), so my answer is off.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you need the slope of the line but what you calculated was the slope of the line going thru 0,0

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics and is named after its discoverer, Max Planck.

2. How is Planck's constant determined?

Planck's constant can be determined experimentally using a device called a "blackbody radiator" which produces thermal radiation. By measuring the frequency and energy of the emitted radiation, scientists can calculate the value of Planck's constant.

3. Why is Planck's constant important?

Planck's constant plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It is used in various equations and formulas in quantum mechanics, including the famous equation E=hv which relates the energy of a photon to its frequency.

4. What is the value of Planck's constant?

The value of Planck's constant is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds (J·s). It is a very small number, but it has a significant impact on the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Can Planck's constant change?

According to current scientific understanding, Planck's constant is a fundamental constant and does not change. It is a universal constant that is the same for all observers, regardless of their location or motion.