Determining Radius from Magnetic Field of a Single-Wire Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a single-turn wire loop producing a magnetic field at its center and on its axis. The relevant equations are mentioned and there is a question about using the sine function. The conversation also suggests simplifying the equation by taking the cubic root.
frankifur
Homework Statement
A single-turn wire loop produces a magnetic field of 41.2 μT at its center, and 5.15 nT on its axis, at 26.0 cm from the loop center.

a. Find the radius

b. Find the current
Relevant Equations
Biot-Savart Law
So I thought I knew how to do this problem but I've run into some issues that make the algebra feel impossible and I am beginning to feel like I'm taking the wrong approach, I ended up rewriting it in a doc because I was concerned maybe my handwriting was the cause of my error so the work is attached.

Attachments

• PHYS HW Help.pdf
    130.5 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
frankifur said:
Homework Statement: A single-turn wire loop produces a magnetic field of 41.2 μT at its center, and 5.15 nT on its axis, at 26.0 cm from the loop center.

a. Find the radius

b. Find the current
Relevant Equations: Biot-Savart Law

So I thought I knew how to do this problem but I've run into some issues that make the algebra feel impossible and I am beginning to feel like I'm taking the wrong approach, I ended up rewriting it in a doc because I was concerned maybe my handwriting was the cause of my error so the work is attached.
sin for the axial component? Are you sure?

Likes frankifur
haruspex said:
sin for the axial component? Are you sure?
Looks OK to me. Angle ##\theta##, indicated by an arc in the small upper triangle, is equal to the angle indicated by an arc in the larger triangle. The symbols used by the OP to define the sine as ##R/x## are a bit unconventional.
Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 7.40.00 AM.png

Last edited:
Likes frankifur
To @frankifur:
Note that $$B_{axis}=\frac{B_{center}R^3}{\left[R^2+z^2 \right]^{3/2}}=\frac{B_{center}\cancel{R^3}}{\cancel{R^3}\left[1+(z/R)^2 \right]^{3/2}}.$$Does this help?

You don't need to expand the paranthesis. Just take the cubic root of both sides and you have an eqution in R2. Or, if you rearange it as suggested by Kuruman, move the Bcenter
back to the left hand side and take the root of order 3/2. The field values are given numbers.

1. How do you determine the radius of a single-wire loop from its magnetic field?

To determine the radius of a single-wire loop from its magnetic field, you can use the formula r = μ0I/2B, where r is the radius, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and B is the magnetic field strength. This formula assumes that the wire is circular and the magnetic field is uniform.

2. What is the significance of determining the radius of a single-wire loop from its magnetic field?

Determining the radius of a single-wire loop from its magnetic field can provide important information about the loop, such as its size and shape. This information can be useful in various applications, such as designing electromagnetic devices or studying the behavior of magnetic fields.

3. Can the radius of a single-wire loop be determined if the magnetic field is not uniform?

No, the formula r = μ0I/2B only applies to loops with a uniform magnetic field. If the magnetic field is not uniform, the radius cannot be accurately determined using this method.

4. Are there any other methods for determining the radius of a single-wire loop?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the radius of a single-wire loop, such as using a compass or a magnetometer to measure the magnetic field at different points around the loop and then using mathematical calculations to determine the radius.

5. How does the current in the wire affect the radius of a single-wire loop?

The current in the wire is directly proportional to the radius of the loop. This means that as the current increases, the radius of the loop also increases. Similarly, as the current decreases, the radius of the loop decreases. This relationship is described by the formula r = μ0I/2B, where I is the current and r is the radius.