Determining the Centroid of an Area: Statics Homework Problem

In summary, the book says the centroid should be 87.3 mm, while my calculations give a result of 90.33 mm.
MCS5280

Homework Statement

Determine The Centroid of The Area

attachment.php?attachmentid=16813&stc=1&d=1229060107.png

Homework Equations

x_centroid = [(Area of each piece)(Centroid of each piece)]/(Area of each piece)

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a really basic problem, I am just reviewing for my statics final on saturday. The only problem is that I keep getting a different answer than the book for the X centroid. I broke the shape up into different pieces (a square, rectangle and semi-circle) and am treating the cutout circle as negative area. I tried it using a different shapes and got the same answer. What am I doing wrong?

My work:

X_centroid = [tex]\frac{(40 mm)(6400 mm^2)+(120 mm)(9600 mm^2)+(120 mm)(1/2)(1600\pi mm^2)-(120 mm)(400\pi mm^2)}{(6400 mm^2)+(9600 mm^2)+(1/2)(1600\pi mm^2)-(400\pi mm^2)}[/tex]

My Answer: 90.33 mm
Book Answer: 87.3 mm

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,147
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not following your numbers. The centroid must have an x and a y coordinate. To determine the y dimension, choose a convenient reference axis, like the bottom of the shape. The y centroid, as measured up from the base, is then determimed by adding up (or subtracting) the products of each individual area shape times the distance from its individual centroid to the base, then dividing that sum by the total area of the combined shape. To find the x coordinate, you proceed in a similar manner, except choose the right edge as the refrence axis about which you sum moment areas.

My calculations are for the X coordinate of the centroid with reference being the left edge of the shape. I divided it up into an 80x80 square for the left part, an 80x120 rectangle for the right with a semi-circle of with radius 40mm ontop of it. The cutout is a circle with radius 20mm. Its just the sum of the [(X centroid of each piece)*(Area of each piece)]/(Total Area of shape). I've had a couple of friends do this one and they got the same exact answer as well. So either we are all making the same mistake or the book is wrong.

OK, I get your answer for the x coordinate. I haven't done the math for the y coordinate. You need both values to define the centroid.

I got the Y centroid coordinate to work out to the books answer, so that one is all good. Its just that the X centroid coordinate that I have calculated is 90.33 mm, while the book says it should be 87.3 mm. So is the book wrong? (I don't think rounding error could account for a 6 mm difference in the answers)

if me, you, and your 2 friends get the same answer, I think we've got the book answer outnumbered by 4:1.:wink:

Make it 5 to 1!

Ok thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a stupid mistake. Its so nice that my $120 textbook can't answer its own problems correctly. :mad:

Related to Determining the Centroid of an Area: Statics Homework Problem

1. What is the "Statics Centroid Problem"?

The "Statics Centroid Problem" is a problem in engineering and physics that involves finding the centroid, or center of mass, of a two-dimensional or three-dimensional object. The centroid is the point where the object can be balanced or supported with equal weight on all sides.

2. Why is finding the centroid important?

Finding the centroid of an object is important for several reasons. It can help determine the stability and balance of a structure, the distribution of weight and forces within a system, and the location of the center of gravity. This information is crucial for designing and analyzing structures and systems, such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles.

3. How is the centroid calculated?

The centroid can be calculated by finding the average of all the points in the object or by using mathematical formulas specific to the shape of the object. For example, the centroid of a rectangle can be found by taking the average of the x and y coordinates of its four corners.

4. What are some applications of the centroid in real-world problems?

The centroid has many practical applications in engineering and physics. It is used in structural analysis to determine the stability of buildings and bridges, in aerodynamics to calculate the lift and drag forces on airplanes, and in manufacturing to ensure proper weight distribution in machines and vehicles.

5. What are some challenges in solving the "Statics Centroid Problem"?

One of the main challenges in solving the "Statics Centroid Problem" is dealing with complex shapes and irregular objects. In these cases, the centroid calculation may require advanced mathematical methods, such as integration or approximation techniques. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the accuracy of the data and measurements used in the calculation.