Determining the number of elements in the relative complement of a set

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating the number of completed states on a 3x3 board for a specific player to win, given that some positions are already filled. It includes a diagram illustrating the board, sets A, B, and C, and the difficulty in calculating the number of elements in set C. The conversation suggests using the definition of A \ X for a general X to solve this problem.
Mingy Jongo
Hello,
I have been very obsessed with a board game called Hex lately. I am trying to calculate the number of completed states (all positions filled in) on a 3x3 board where a certain player wins, given that some positions are already filled. I have attached a diagram illustrating what I am trying to do.

In the diagram are illustrations of a 3x3 Hex board, where pieces are played on the intersections. Each intersection either has a white or black piece on it, or is empty, meaning that it does not matter what color is placed on it.

For set A, the image designates 5 empty intersections that can either be black or white, giving a total of 2^5 elements in the set. Set B is the relative complement of another board with set A, which is equivalent to a set shown that includes 2^4 elements.

My problem is that I am having trouble calculating the number of elements in set C, which is equivalent to the relative complement of the board pictured with the union of sets A and B. It is not equivalent to any single diagram I can think of, so I can not compute it like I did with set B.

Are there any formulas I can use to compute this and further relative complements of unions?

Attachments

• graph0001.bmp
    12.6 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Mingy Jongo and welcome to the forums.

What will probably help you for these kinds of problems is using the definition of A \ X for a general X (including if X = Y OR Z like in your example).

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_(set_theory)

1. What is the definition of a relative complement of a set?

The relative complement of a set A in a set B, denoted as B\A, is the set of all elements in B that are not in A. In other words, it is the set of elements that belong to B but not to A.

2. How do you determine the number of elements in the relative complement of a set?

To determine the number of elements in the relative complement of a set A in a set B, you can subtract the number of elements in A from the number of elements in B. This will give you the number of elements that are in B but not in A.

3. Can the relative complement of a set have a negative number of elements?

No, the relative complement of a set can never have a negative number of elements. If the number of elements in A is equal to or greater than the number of elements in B, the relative complement will simply be an empty set with no elements.

4. Is the relative complement of a set commutative?

Yes, the relative complement of a set is commutative, meaning that A\B = B\A. However, the resulting sets may not be the same if the original sets are not equal.

5. How can the relative complement of a set be used in real life?

The concept of a relative complement of a set is often used in data analysis and statistics. It can be used to compare two sets of data and determine the unique elements in each set. It can also be used to identify common elements between sets and to analyze the differences between them.