Determining the object distance from a magnifying glass

• Thread starter chuggZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the object distance for a magnifying glass with a focal length of 8.0 cm. The lens/mirror equation is used to solve for the object distance, but the focal length and image distance are the same, causing them to cancel out. The type of image can be both positive and negative depending on its distance from the lens.
chuggZ

Homework Statement

A magnifying glass has a focal length of 8.0 cm. How close to an object do you need to place the magnifying glass so that the distance between the image and the magnifying glass is the same as the focal length? What type of image is this and what is its magnification?

Homework Equations

I am thinking that you use the Lens/Mirror equation

1/focal length = 1/object distance + 1/image distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to do this because I am after object distance. So what I did was 1/object distance = 1/focal length - 1/image distance. But when I do that they just cancel because focal length and image distance are supposed to be the same thing. Once I figure that out I can handle the image type and magnification.

Thanks, ChuggZ

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done is right. Don't stop just because they cancel out, continue and solve for what you want.

chuggZ said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to do this because I am after object distance. So what I did was 1/object distance = 1/focal length - 1/image distance. But when I do that they just cancel because focal length and image distance are supposed to be the same thing. Once I figure that out I can handle the image type and magnification.

The image can appear at both sides of the lens. You know only the distance of the image from the lens, but the sign of the image distance can be both positive and negative.

ehild

1. How does a magnifying glass help determine the distance of an object?

A magnifying glass works by bending or refracting light as it passes through the lens. The amount of bending depends on the distance of the object from the lens. By observing the size and clarity of the image produced, we can determine the distance of the object from the magnifying glass.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of determining the object distance with a magnifying glass?

The accuracy of determining the object distance with a magnifying glass can be affected by the quality of the lens, the angle at which the magnifying glass is held, and the lighting conditions. The distance between the magnifying glass and the object should also be considered.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the distance of an object from a magnifying glass?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance of an object from a magnifying glass is: object distance = focal length x (image distance + focal length).

4. How can I determine the focal length of a magnifying glass?

The focal length of a magnifying glass can be determined by measuring the distance between the lens and the point where the image is in focus. This can be done by moving the magnifying glass back and forth until the image appears clear and sharp.

5. Can a magnifying glass be used to determine the distance of objects that are far away?

No, a magnifying glass is designed to magnify objects at a close distance. It cannot accurately determine the distance of objects that are far away. For that, other tools such as binoculars or a rangefinder would be more suitable.