Determining the rank of a matrix

In summary, the OP attempted to solve a homework problem that involved columns and rows being considered as separate entities, but was unable to do so because of the linear dependence between them.
influx

Homework Statement

2136c8.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that they got a rank of 2 since there are 2 linearly independent columns but what if we decided to count rows? In that case we would have 4 linearly independent rows which would suggest the rank is 4? How do we reconcile between these?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try to prove the linear independence of the four rows. Or simply draw them in a plane.

influx said:

Homework Statement

2136c8.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that they got a rank of 2 since there are 2 linearly independent columns but what if we decided to count rows? In that case we would have 4 linearly independent rows which would suggest the rank is 4? How do we reconcile between these?

No. Just because you have 4 rows does not mean you have 4 independent rows. In fact, you can have at most 2 independent vectors of dimension 2!

In fact, you can see that Row_3 = 2*Row_2 - Row_1 and Row_4 = - Row_1 - 4*Row_2..

REMEMBER: in any matrix, the number of linearly-independent rows equals the number of linearly-independent columns. That is an important basic theorem of linear algebra.

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
You should try to prove the linear independence of the four rows. Or simply draw them in a plane.

I hope you mean linear dependence.

Ray Vickson said:
I hope you mean linear dependence.
No, I meant linear independency. My goal was to let the OP see by himself why this won't be possible and learn out of it.

fresh_42 said:
No, I meant linear independency. My goal was to let the OP see by himself why this won't be possible and learn out of it.

OK: I found the wording confusing.

Ray Vickson said:
OK: I found the wording confusing.
He claimed the rows to be linear independent, so to ask for a proof seemed to be logic. Thus he would have learned multiple things: don't claim, what you cannot prove, the calculations with linear dependencies and linear independencies are basically the same, and a (failed) proof would have simultaneously shown two free parameters solving the dimension formula. All within this tiny example.

1. What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix.

2. How is the rank of a matrix determined?

The rank of a matrix is determined by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form, and then counting the number of non-zero rows.

3. Can the rank of a matrix be greater than the number of rows or columns?

No, the rank of a matrix cannot be greater than the number of rows or columns. It can be at most equal to the smaller of the two.

4. What does a matrix with full rank mean?

A matrix with full rank means that all of its rows and columns are linearly independent, and therefore it has the maximum possible rank.

5. Why is determining the rank of a matrix important?

The rank of a matrix is important in various applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix. It also provides information about the dimension of the vector space spanned by the rows or columns of the matrix.