Determining the speed of sound in air

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the speed of sound by measuring the shift in time between a microphone and speaker at different frequencies. The results are not clear and the speaker is seeking help to interpret the data and understand the physical process behind the time shift.
Freefeynman123
Hello!

I have a problem with determining speed of sound basing on a data from laboratory.

1. Homework Statement

I have to determine speed of sound by measuring the shift of time in microphone compared to speaker. The distance between them is constant and I'm changing the frequency in generator, the results are:

Frequency [kHz] Shift [us]
6,42 0
6,91 68
7,41 22
7,88 20
8,4 68
8,88 2
9,425 42
9,9 23

The distance is S = 0,03 [m]

Homework Equations

I think that probably:

t = a*f + b

where t is time shift and f is frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to fit a line to the results, but I cannot interpret the output.

Can someone help me? I would be very pleased.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the experiment mean by "shift in time"?
i.e. what is the physical process that gives rise to the time shift you observe?

Related to Determining the speed of sound in air

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound in air?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound in air is v = 331.4 + 0.606 * T, where v is the speed of sound in meters per second and T is the temperature in degrees Celsius.

2. How does the speed of sound in air change with temperature?

The speed of sound in air increases with temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the air move faster, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.

3. Can the speed of sound in air be affected by other factors?

Yes, the speed of sound in air can also be affected by the humidity and density of the air. Higher humidity and lower air density can result in a slower speed of sound.

4. How is the speed of sound in air measured?

The speed of sound in air can be measured using a variety of techniques, including the time-of-flight method, resonance method, and interferometry method. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance.

5. What is the standard value for the speed of sound in air?

The standard value for the speed of sound in air at sea level and 20 degrees Celsius is approximately 343 meters per second. This value can vary depending on temperature, humidity, and air density.