Determining Time Invariance in Signal Statements: Examples and Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether given statements are time invariant or not. The first example involves a leftward shift in the input causing a rightward shift in the output, leading to the conclusion that it is not time invariant. The professor's solution involves a similar shift in the input, but the specific details on the right-hand side of the equation are unclear. The second example involves a shift by aT not being equivalent to a shift by T, leading to the conclusion of not being time invariant. The professor's solution involves a shift by aT being equivalent to a shift by T, but there is confusion over the notation and consistency with what the professor wants from the students.
jegues

Homework Statement

I just have a general question about what one of my professors had written on the board today in class.

He was writing down examples where we had to determine whether the given statement was time invariant or not.

One example was written as follows,

[tex]x(-t) = y(t)[/tex]

[tex]\text{Input: }x(t-T)[/tex]

My attempt at solving this would be,

[tex]x(-(t-T)) = x(T-t) = y(t-T)[/tex]

Thus a leftward shift in the input causes a rightward shift in the output. Therefore not time invariant.

The solution my professor proposed was something like the following

[tex]x(-t -T) = x(-(t+T)) = y(t-T)[/tex]

I can't quite remember what he wrote on the RHS of the equation but it was something like that.

Am I misinterpreting what he means by,

Is he just saying, check if its time invariant when the input is shifted to the right by T?

Another example he gave was,

[tex]x(at) = y(t)[/tex]

My attempt at the solution would be,

[tex]x(a(t-T)) = x(at-aT) = y(t-T)[/tex]

A shift by aT ≠ a shift by T therefore not time invariant.

His solution,

[tex]x(at-T) = x(a(t-\frac{T}{a}))[/tex]

Therefore not invariant.

Am I misinterpreting what he is saying what when he writes,

[tex]\text{Input: x(t-T)}[/tex]

?

Should it be written that way in the first place? Is what he is writing and what he wants from us inconsistent?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, anyone!?

Related to Determining Time Invariance in Signal Statements: Examples and Solutions

What is time invariance in signals?

Time invariance in signals refers to the property of a system where the output signal remains unchanged when the input signal is delayed or advanced in time. In other words, the behavior of the system is not affected by a shift in the input signal's time domain.

How does time invariance affect signal processing?

Time invariance is an important concept in signal processing as it allows for easier analysis and manipulation of signals. It also ensures that the output of a system is consistent regardless of when the input is applied, making it easier to design and implement signal processing systems.

What is the difference between time-invariant and time-varying systems?

Time-invariant systems have a constant behavior over time, meaning that the output is unaffected by a time shift in the input. On the other hand, time-varying systems have a changing behavior over time, where the output is dependent on the specific time at which the input is applied.

What are some real-life examples of time-invariant systems?

Some examples of time-invariant systems include electronic filters, audio and video processing systems, and communication systems. In these cases, the output signal remains unchanged regardless of when the input signal is applied.

How can time invariance be tested in a signal processing system?

One way to test for time invariance is to apply a delayed or advanced version of the input signal to the system and observe if the output remains unchanged. If the output is the same, then the system can be considered time-invariant. Additionally, mathematical analysis and simulations can also be used to test for time invariance in a system.