Determining which of the following is a Maclaurin Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for a Maclaurin series to have non-negative integer exponents and the importance of this in solving equations. It also clarifies the series expansion for e^x and the cancellation of terms.
MathewsMD

Homework Statement

In attached image.

2. The attempt at a solution

Now, after looking at the solution, the only real conclusion I can come up with is that a Maclaurin series must have x's with non-negative integer value as the exponents, correct? This is because for the the general representation of the Maclaurin series, ##c_n = \frac {f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}## and if n is negative, then you're taking the antiderivative and the factorial is also negative (undefined). Is this not allowed? Is this not allowed for Maclaurin series only or any Taylor series in general, since in this case a = 0? This is the only conclusion I've been able to come up with I believe it's flawed.

I was also looking at option D, and isn't ## \frac {1-e^x}{x} = \frac {1}{x} - ∑^∞_{n=0} \frac {x^{n-1}}{n!}## and wouldn't this too have a negative exponent on x for the first term at n = 0?

Is there anything I am blatantly missing here?
Any explanations for the question and its solution would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 5.15.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 5.15.06 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

Homework Statement

In attached image.

2. The attempt at a solution

Now, after looking at the solution, the only real conclusion I can come up with is that a Maclaurin series must have x's with non-negative integer value as the exponents, correct? This is because for the the general representation of the Maclaurin series, ##c_n = \frac {f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}## and if n is negative, then you're taking the antiderivative and the factorial is also negative (undefined). Is this not allowed? Is this not allowed for Maclaurin series only or any Taylor series in general, since in this case a = 0? This is the only conclusion I've been able to come up with I believe it's flawed.

I was also looking at option D, and isn't ## \frac {1-e^x}{x} = \frac {1}{x} - ∑^∞_{n=0} \frac {x^{n-1}}{n!}## and wouldn't this too have a negative exponent on x for the first term at n = 0?

Is there anything I am blatantly missing here?
Any explanations for the question and its solution would be much appreciated!

Yes, the series must have all nonnegative integer exponents. And for option D the series expansion of e^x is 1+x+x^2/2!+... That 1 cancels the other 1.

Dick said:
Yes, the series must have all nonnegative integer exponents. And for option D the series expansion of e^x is 1+x+x^2/2!+... That 1 cancels the other 1.

I missed that cancellation. Thank you!

1. What is a Maclaurin Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a type of power series expansion that approximates a given function using a polynomial. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. How is a Maclaurin Series calculated?

A Maclaurin Series is calculated by taking the derivatives of a given function at a specific point (usually 0) and plugging them into the formula for a Taylor Series. The resulting series is then simplified to only include terms with powers of x.

3. Why is the Maclaurin Series useful?

The Maclaurin Series is useful because it allows us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomials. This can be helpful in solving difficult mathematical problems and in modeling real-world phenomena.

4. What is the difference between a Maclaurin Series and a Taylor Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series, where the expansion is centered at 0. In general, a Taylor Series is centered at any point x=a, and its formula includes terms with powers of (x-a).

5. How accurate is the Maclaurin Series approximation?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin Series approximation depends on the number of terms used in the expansion. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function. However, the series may not converge for all values of x, so it is important to check the convergence of the series before using it to approximate a function.