Evaluating limit at infinity by Maclaurin series

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the limit ## \lim_{x\to \infty } x^n e^{-x} ## using the Maclaurin expansion for ##e^{x}##. After dividing the numerator and denominator by ##x^n##, we are left with a series that can be simplified to ##\frac{1}{n!}\left(1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}\right)##. By recognizing that n is a fixed finite constant, we can take the limit of the reciprocal sum and show that it goes to zero, thus solving the problem.
Sigma057

Homework Statement

I've begun going through Boas' Math Methods in the Physical Sciences and am stuck on problem 1.15.25. The problem is to evaluate
## \lim_{x\to \infty } x^n e^{-x} ##
By using the Maclaurin expansion for ##e^{x}##.

Homework Equations

We know the Maclaurin expansion for the exponential function to be
## 1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}##
We are also given the hint to divide the numerator and denominator by ##x^n## before taking the limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the hint I proceed
##
e^{-x} x^n=\frac{x^n}{e^x}=\frac{1}{\frac{e^x}{x^n}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}\left(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}\right)}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{x}{x^n}+\frac{x^2}{2 x^n}+\frac{x^3}{6 x^n}+\frac{x^4}{24 x^n}+\text{...}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\frac{1}{6 x^{n-3}}+\frac{1}{24 x^{n-4}}+\text{...}}

##
I really don't see how this helps me as I let x go to infinity.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had Ralph Boas (husband of the author of that book) for a math course once. He was a very sweet old guy.

I'm not exactly sure how she wants you to solve the problem, but if you could prove that, for [itex]x[/itex] large enough, [itex]e^x > x^{n+1}[/itex], then it would follow that [itex]x^n/e^x < 1/x[/itex].

Sigma057 said:

Homework Statement

I've begun going through Boas' Math Methods in the Physical Sciences and am stuck on problem 1.15.25. The problem is to evaluate
## \lim_{x\to \infty } x^n e^{-x} ##
By using the Maclaurin expansion for ##e^{x}##.

Homework Equations

We know the Maclaurin expansion for the exponential function to be
## 1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}##
We are also given the hint to divide the numerator and denominator by ##x^n## before taking the limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the hint I proceed
##
e^{-x} x^n=\frac{x^n}{e^x}=\frac{1}{\frac{e^x}{x^n}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}\left(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}\right)}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{x}{x^n}+\frac{x^2}{2 x^n}+\frac{x^3}{6 x^n}+\frac{x^4}{24 x^n}+\text{...}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\frac{1}{6 x^{n-3}}+\frac{1}{24 x^{n-4}}+\text{...}}

##
I really don't see how this helps me as I let x go to infinity.
Any suggestions?
The denominator is ##\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\text{...}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##
What happens if x goes to infinity?

ehild said:
The denominator is ##\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\text{...}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##
What happens if x goes to infinity?

As x goes to infinity, ##\frac{1}{x^n}, \frac{1}{x^{n-1}}, \frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}},...## go to zero leaving us to evaluate the rest of the series ##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##

The only step I can see from here is to factor out an n!.
##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}+\frac{x}{(n+1) n!}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1) n!}+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}\left(1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}\right)##
And once again I'm stuck as I know of no way to evaluate this.

Sigma057 said:
As x goes to infinity, ##\frac{1}{x^n}, \frac{1}{x^{n-1}}, \frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}},...## go to zero leaving us to evaluate the rest of the series ##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##

##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}+\frac{x}{(n+1) n!}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1) n!}+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}\left(1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}\right)##
For ##x > 0##, all the terms in the series for ##e^x## are positive, so ##e^x > x^{n+k}/(n+k)!, ## hence
$$\frac{x^n}{e^x} < \frac{x^n}{x^{n+k}/(n+k)!} = (n+k)!/x^k. $$

Seems like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Doesn't
$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{n!} + \frac{1}{(n+1)!} x + \cdots$$ diverge?

Sigma057 said:

Remember that n is a finite number.
##1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}>1+\frac{x}{n+1}## which goes to infinity if x-->∞. What is the limit of its reciprocal?

Thank you all! The fact that n is a fixed finite constant was the fundamental concept I wasn't using in my solution. I now can see that once I take the limit of the reciprocal sum it goes to zero =)

You have no idea how frustrating this problem has been (for no good reason). Thank you al for sharing your insights with a fresh pair of eyes!

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of infinite series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms that are powers of the variable x. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. How is a Maclaurin series used to evaluate limits at infinity?

A Maclaurin series can be used to evaluate limits at infinity by substituting x with 1/y and taking the limit as y approaches 0. This allows us to represent the function in terms of a polynomial, making it easier to evaluate the limit at infinity.

3. What is the formula for a Maclaurin series?

The formula for a Maclaurin series is given by f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x2/2! + f'''(0)x3/3! + ..., where f'(0), f''(0), f'''(0), etc. are the derivatives of the function f(x) evaluated at x = 0.

4. Can a Maclaurin series be used to evaluate any function at infinity?

No, a Maclaurin series can only be used to evaluate limits at infinity for functions that can be represented as an infinite sum of powers of x. This is known as a convergent Maclaurin series.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Maclaurin series to evaluate limits at infinity?

Yes, there are some limitations. A Maclaurin series can only be used to evaluate limits at infinity for functions that have a convergent Maclaurin series. Additionally, the series may only converge for certain values of x, so it is important to check the interval of convergence before using a Maclaurin series to evaluate a limit at infinity.