Developing more practical insights into real situations in Physics

In summary, Luke is considering whether or not to study material that could give him practical insights into real situations. He recommends that students start building electronics kits early in their studies to help them develop intuition about circuits and systems. He also recommends that students develop more mechanical experience before going to university.
Lukeblackhill
Good Evening Mates,

I've been following up with the Forum for a couple of months now, and I've noticed how some of the members are able to give some deep answers for seemingly simple questions. I'm in my second year of undergrad's school, and have studied the basis of Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Electricity, besides the introductionary disciplines of calculus and maths.

I was wondering whether I could study some material that could give me some more practical insights to real situations...or if that is something that comes as I progress in my studies.

Thank you!
Cheers,
Luke.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insight into real situations tends to come with experience dealing with those real situations. It's not just about reading the material in a book and working your way through the exercises (though that is a component of it). Once you understand the theory though coursework, you set out and start working on real projects and then you go back through your coursework trying to figure out solutions to problems that don't have a simple answer printed in the back of the book. Its when you do enough of that you start to see your theory work through the lens of the different projects you take on.

Likes symbolipoint
Lukeblackhill said:
I was wondering whether I could study some material that could give me some more practical insights to real situations...or if that is something that comes as I progress in my studies.
Choppy said:
you set out and start working on real projects and then you go back through your coursework trying to figure out solutions to problems that don't have a simple answer printed in the back of the book.
I think this is an important point by @Choppy -- working on real-world projects (even relatively simple ones) helps you to start to learn to "ask the right questions" of yourself and your instructors as you learn new material.

For example, for EE students and electronics hobbyists, I often recommend that they start building electronics kits (there are many inexpensive ones) early in their studies. The kits usually come with the schematic and some tutorial information about how the circuit works (like an FM radio, or an electronic thermometer and display, etc.). When you start seeing practical circuits, even simple ones, you start asking questions like "why did they pick that transistor" or "why did they chose those values of bias resistors", etc. Then when you are studying circuits, you start asking many of the same questions as you learn the new material, and you find that you are starting to develop an intuition about how different circuits and systems work.

Before I went to university, I was building simple radio kits and similar projects, and at university in my spare time I built a power supply, a digital clock, a laser light-organ with a deflection mirror, and some other stuff that slips my mind right now. Each project challenged me to learn new things, and I was able to apply my learning to my EE studies, and often came up with questions about my studies that I would not have thought of without having run into issues on my personal projects.

So for MEs, they can build more mechanically oriented projects (especially with the great advances in 3-D printing!), and I would think for Physics students, you can probably think of some fun projects that you could undertake. Look at your upcoming coursework, and think about what kind of personal projects you might be able to do to help you develop more intuition about the Math and Physics that you are learning. Have fun! :smile:

Likes Choppy and Dadface

1. What is the importance of developing practical insights in physics?

Developing practical insights in physics allows us to apply theoretical concepts to real-world situations, making it easier to understand and solve complex problems. It also helps us make advancements in technology and improve our daily lives.

2. How can we develop practical insights in physics?

We can develop practical insights in physics through experimentation and observation. By conducting experiments and analyzing data, we can gain a better understanding of how physics principles apply to the real world. Collaborating with other scientists and engineers can also lead to new insights and innovations.

3. What challenges are involved in developing practical insights in physics?

One challenge is the complexity of real-world situations and the many variables that can affect them. It can also be difficult to accurately measure and collect data in these situations. Additionally, developing practical insights often requires a multidisciplinary approach, which can be challenging to coordinate.

4. How can practical insights in physics be applied in different industries?

Practical insights in physics have a wide range of applications in various industries. For example, in the automotive industry, they can be used to improve fuel efficiency and safety features. In the medical field, they can be applied to develop new treatments and technologies. In the energy sector, they can help optimize renewable energy sources.

5. What are some current developments in developing practical insights in physics?

Some current developments include using artificial intelligence and machine learning to analyze large amounts of data and identify patterns in real-world situations. There is also a growing focus on sustainability and using physics principles to address environmental challenges. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as virtual reality and simulations, are making it easier to study and understand complex real-world situations in physics.