DFPT second order energy variational form

In summary, the DFPT second order energy variational form is a method used in computational materials science and condensed matter physics to calculate the electronic structure and response of materials to external perturbations. It works by expanding the system's total energy in terms of the perturbation and has advantages such as accuracy, efficiency, and the ability to incorporate many-body effects. However, it also has limitations such as reliance on initial DFT calculations and sensitivity to exchange-correlation functionals. Some applications of this method include studying material properties, predicting the effects of perturbations, and developing new computational methods for studying materials at the atomic level.
Sheng
I am referring to perturbation expansion of density functional Kohn Sham energy expression in
Phys. Rev. A 52, 1096.

In equation (92) the variational form of the second order energy is listed, but I cannot seem to work out the last 3 terms involving XC energy and density. Particularly, the interaction energy potential is given as:
[tex] v_{HXC}^{(i)} = \frac{1}{i!} \frac{d^i}{d\lambda^i} \left[ \frac{\delta E_{HXC} \left[ \sum_{j=0}^i \lambda^j n^{(j)} \right] }{\delta(n(r))} \right] \Bigg|_{\lambda=0} [/tex]

In Phys. Rev. B 55, 10337 by the same author, it is listed that
[tex] v_{HXC}^{(1)} = \int \frac{\delta^2 E_{HXC}}{\delta(n(r))\delta(n(r'))} \bigg|_{n^(0)} n^{(1)}(r') \,dr' + \frac{d}{d\lambda} \frac{\delta E_{HXC}}{\delta(n(r))} \bigg|_{n^(0)} [/tex]
which I don't know the rationale behind the expansion.

From the general expression Eq (50) in Phys. Rev. A 52, 1096, I am lost at finding the terms which contribute to the last 3 terms in the variational expression.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this topic on the perturbation expansion of density functional Kohn Sham energy expression. I understand that you are having trouble understanding the last three terms involving the XC energy and density in equation (92) of Phys. Rev. A 52, 1096.

Firstly, let me clarify that the expansion you are referring to is known as the perturbation expansion of the XC energy, which is a common technique used in density functional theory (DFT). This expansion is used to approximate the XC energy, which is notoriously difficult to calculate exactly.

The expression for v_{HXC}^{(i)} that you have listed is derived from the general expression for the XC energy given in Eq (50) of Phys. Rev. A 52, 1096. In this expression, the XC energy is written as a functional of the density, E_{HXC}[n(r)]. The variational form of the second order energy (Eq (92)) is obtained by expanding the XC energy in a Taylor series around the reference density n^(0), and keeping only terms up to second order.

The first term in this expansion is the interaction energy potential v_{HXC}^{(1)}, which is given by the integral in the first term of your second equation. This term represents the direct effect of the perturbation on the XC energy.

The second term in the expansion is the first derivative of the XC energy with respect to the perturbation parameter, evaluated at the reference density. This term represents the indirect effect of the perturbation on the XC energy.

The third term, which is the one you are having trouble with, involves the second derivative of the XC energy with respect to the density, evaluated at the reference density. This term represents the second order indirect effect of the perturbation on the XC energy.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the rationale behind the expansion and how the terms in the variational expression are obtained. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is the DFPT second order energy variational form?

The DFPT second order energy variational form, also known as the density functional perturbation theory (DFPT), is a method used to calculate the electronic structure of a material and its response to external perturbations. It is used in computational materials science and condensed matter physics to study the phonon and electronic properties of materials.

2. How does DFPT second order energy variational form work?

DFPT second order energy variational form works by expanding the total energy of a system in terms of an external perturbation, such as a change in atomic positions or an external electric field. The perturbation is then used to calculate the response of the system's electronic structure, such as the change in electron density or the phonon frequencies.

3. What are the advantages of using DFPT second order energy variational form?

The advantages of using DFPT second order energy variational form include its ability to accurately calculate the electronic and phonon properties of materials, its efficiency in handling large systems, and its ability to incorporate many-body effects in the calculations.

4. What are the limitations of DFPT second order energy variational form?

Some limitations of DFPT second order energy variational form include its reliance on the initial density functional theory (DFT) calculation, its inability to accurately capture strong electron correlations, and its sensitivity to the choice of exchange-correlation functional.

5. What are some applications of DFPT second order energy variational form?

DFPT second order energy variational form has many applications in materials science and condensed matter physics, such as studying the vibrational and electronic properties of materials, predicting the effects of external perturbations on a material's electronic structure, and designing new materials with specific properties. It is also used in the development of new computational methods for studying materials at the atomistic level.