Diagonalization of Hubbard Hamiltonian

In summary, to solve the Hubbard Hamiltonian in DFT, one must make a linear transformation of creation and annihilation operators in order to diagonalize the Hamiltonian. This involves finding conditions that preserve the commutation rules and result in a diagonal Hamiltonian, which can be done using standard methods from linear algebra.
Guilherme
Hi guys! I am starting to study Hubbard model with application in DFT and I have some doubts how to solve the Hubbard Hamiltonian. I have the DFT modeled to Hubbard, where the homogeneous Hamiltonian is

$$ H = -t\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sigma (\hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{j\sigma} + H.c.) + \sum_i v_i^{eff} \hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{i\sigma} $$

How do I diagonalize it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guilherme said:
Hi guys! I am starting to study Hubbard model with application in DFT and I have some doubts how to solve the Hubbard Hamiltonian. I have the DFT modeled to Hubbard, where the homogeneous Hamiltonian is

$$ H = -t\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sigma (\hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{j\sigma} + H.c.) + \sum_i v_i^{eff} \hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{i\sigma} $$

How do I diagonalize it?
Make an arbitrary linear (Bogoliubov) transformation of creation and annihilation operators, work out the conditions that preserve the commutation rules and the conditions that make the resulting Hamiltonian diagonal, and you get a standard problem from linear algebra.

1. What is the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

The Hubbard Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of interacting particles, particularly in solid state physics. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the particles as well as the potential energy due to their interactions.

2. Why is diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian important?

Diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian allows for a better understanding of the behavior of interacting particles in a system. It helps to accurately predict properties such as energy levels and electronic structure.

3. How is diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian performed?

Diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix representing the Hamiltonian. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as matrix diagonalization or numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

Diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian has many practical applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, materials science, and quantum computing. It can be used to study the behavior of electrons in solids, analyze quantum systems, and design new materials with specific electronic properties.

5. Are there any limitations to diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

Diagonalization of the Hubbard Hamiltonian can be a computationally intensive process, especially for larger systems. It also assumes that the particles in the system are in a pure state, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the model may not accurately capture all types of interactions between particles.