Did All Carnivorous Dinosaurs Have Speed and Agility?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dinosaurs
In summary, most carnivorous dinosaurs were fast and agile, but there are some that evolved into herbivores.
Gold Barz
I just wanted to ask that are all or most carnivorous dinosaurs were fast and agile?

Biology news on Phys.org
Using slow movement to capture fast moving prey would not be adaptive for a carnivore--you need to consider energy needs vs energy expended.
Suppose the meat at the meat market was always moving around the store to stay away from customers (you) and you only ate meat and moved very slow. How long before the lettuce looked inviting ? Recall that carnivores are "flesh" eaters, modern day species include mammals (cats, dogs, wolf, lion, tiger, coyote), reptiles (alligator, Komono dragon--a lizard), fish (shark). Since slow moving carnivores are unknown in present time, no reason to expect they were present in dinosaurs.

Rade said:
Since slow moving carnivores are unknown in present time...

well...
Google hit #1 from "slow-moving carnivore"...
http://cornellcollege.edu/biology/insects2005/6cassiecaroline/6mantis.htm

how about spiders (all are carnivores), carnivorous plants, grouper fish (and other ambush attackers)...

Although I suppose "slow" is relative. The above examples move slow in general except perhaps for a quick death strike. If I kept searching, I suspect I'd find slow-moving insectivores, which I think can also be thought of as a carnivore (like spiders).

As for larger animals...hmm...not sure off-hand. I was going to say Komodo dragons, which are generally slow, but I see that they can have bursts of speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The victims of carrion eaters don't run much about, so the carrion eaters can be slow.

Do you mean Theropods? A lot of early Theropods were carnivorous and agile, but later on some evolved into herbivory. In fact, modern birds are derived from Theropod ancestors.

With regard to general rules in Biology - exceptions abound.

Example:
All rodents are herbivorous. Not quite: Grasshopper mice are carnivores.

Ant-eaters are slow, but again, their death strike is fast (tongue). I was also going to observe carrion eaters are meat-a-sauruses and don't need to be fast, but someone beat me to it :p

I meant dinosaurs like Velociraptors, Utahraptors, Deinonychus and I read that the T-Rex could run up to 35 mph.

1. What is the scientific name for dinosaurs?

The scientific name for dinosaurs is Dinosauria, which is derived from the Greek words "deinos" meaning "terrible" and "sauros" meaning "lizard".

2. How did dinosaurs go extinct?

The most widely accepted theory is that an asteroid impact caused a catastrophic event that led to the extinction of dinosaurs. This event is known as the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event and occurred approximately 66 million years ago.

3. Were all dinosaurs giant creatures?

No, not all dinosaurs were giant creatures. In fact, some were as small as chickens while others were as large as buildings. Dinosaurs came in a variety of sizes and shapes, just like animals today.

4. Did dinosaurs live on every continent?

Yes, dinosaurs were found on every continent on the Earth during the Mesozoic Era, which lasted from about 252 to 66 million years ago. However, the distribution and types of dinosaurs varied from continent to continent.

5. Are birds considered dinosaurs?

Yes, birds are considered dinosaurs. They are the only surviving group of dinosaurs and are classified as avian dinosaurs. Scientists have found evidence that suggests birds evolved from a group of small, feathered, meat-eating dinosaurs known as theropods.