Dielectric and Attraction Between Oppositely Charged Plates

In summary, the presence of a dielectric between oppositely charged plates reduces the force of attraction between the plates due to the change in energy stored in the capacitor. This can be explained by considering the work done and the flow of energy in or out of the capacitor. Additionally, the electric field lines become more concentrated between the plates with the presence of a dielectric, potentially resulting in a slight increase in attraction.
iVenky
I am not able to intuitively understand the reasoning behind why the presence of dielectric between oppositely charged plates, let's say, reduces the force of attraction between the plates. I understand to some extent that electric field lines prefer to flow through dielectric (or insulator) than a vacuum, but I am not able to grasp clearly how this drops the force of attraction between the charged particles. Shouldn't the number of field lines be the same in both instances (i.e. different relative permittivities)? I am missing something fundamental here.

Likes AlexCaledin
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe, charge the plates to a known voltage. C = Q / V.
Disconnect the capacitor so charge is fixed.
Then slide a dielectric into the gap.
The capacitance is increased, so the voltage must fall.

Likes AlexCaledin, Keith_McClary and alan123hk
This effect has to be compared with the Force between plates on a capacitor (connected to a battery) as the dielectric is changed. The PD between the plates is kept the same so the dielectric doesn't alter it.

Likes alan123hk
iVenky said:
but I am not able to grasp clearly how this drops the force of attraction between the charged particles

I think there are two different situations.

The first situation is that when the dielectric slides into the gap, the voltage of the capacitor remains constant ( connected to a battery ), so both the energy and the attractive force will increase.

But in the second situation, the voltage source of the capacitor is removed, and then the dielectric slides into the gap, so the energy and attractive force will be reduced.

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary, iVenky and sophiecentaur
alan123hk said:
I think there are two different situations.

The first situation is that when the dielectric slides into the gap, the voltage of the capacitor remains constant ( connected to a battery ), so both the energy and the attractive force will increase.

But in the second situation, the voltage source of the capacitor is removed, and then the dielectric slides into the gap, so the energy and attractive force will be reduced.

Thanks but I still don't get the intuition behind this (instead of math). Can you explain how the force changes in terms of field lines?

iVenky said:
. Can you explain how the
You want intuition? OK. If the Energy stored changes then you can think in terms of work being done or Energy flowing in or out of an electrical.
If your intuition will allow you to think in terms of
Energy = CV2/2 or E = QV and consider whether the V or the Q are constant.
Then the work done will either be positive or negative, depending and any slight asymmetry will cause the dielectric to be pulled in or pushed out. And you don't have to work out any actual forces for the above argument to work.

iVenky said:
Can you explain how the force changes in terms of field lines?

First of all, I want to correct what I said. When the voltage source of the parallel plate capacitor is removed and then the dielectric is slid into the gap, the attractive force between the two plates of the capacitor will not decrease. In fact, this attraction remains the same.

In addition, I didn't have time yesterday, but today I finally have time to think carefully about this thing and draw the intuitive electric field line diagram. Hope this diagram is of reference value for you.
cap2.jpg

• Informative
Likes artis, iVenky and eq1
alan123hk said:
First of all, I want to correct what I said. When the voltage source of the parallel plate capacitor is removed and then the dielectric is slid into the gap, the attractive force between the two plates of the capacitor will not decrease. In fact, this attraction remains the same.

In addition, I didn't have time yesterday, but today I finally have time to think carefully about this thing and draw the intuitive electric field line diagram. Hope this diagram is of reference value for you.View attachment 278482
I really appreciate you spent some time drawing the diagram (the diagrams look amazing by the way). Thanks so much!

The attraction might increase a little because the field becomes more gathered in between the plates. The dipole-like curved field around the edges becomes weaker with the dielectric, right?

AlexCaledin said:
The attraction might increase a little because the field becomes more gathered in between the plates. The dipole-like curved field around the edges becomes weaker with the dielectric, right?

It seems that this is very possible. :rolleyes:

Likes AlexCaledin

1. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a non-conducting material that can store electric charge and create an electric field when placed in an electric field. Examples of dielectric materials include rubber, glass, and plastic.

2. How does the dielectric affect the attraction between oppositely charged plates?

The presence of a dielectric between oppositely charged plates reduces the strength of the electric field between them, resulting in a decrease in the attractive force between the plates. This is because the dielectric material polarizes in the presence of the electric field, creating an opposing electric field that weakens the overall electric field.

3. What is the relationship between the dielectric constant and the attraction between oppositely charged plates?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electric charge. It is directly related to the strength of the electric field and the attraction between oppositely charged plates. As the dielectric constant increases, the attractive force between the plates decreases.

4. Can the attraction between oppositely charged plates be completely eliminated with a dielectric?

No, the attraction between oppositely charged plates cannot be completely eliminated with a dielectric. The presence of a dielectric can only weaken the electric field and reduce the attractive force, but it cannot cancel it out entirely. The strength of the attractive force will always depend on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between the plates.

5. How is the dielectric constant of a material determined?

The dielectric constant of a material is determined by comparing the capacitance of a capacitor with and without the dielectric material between its plates. The dielectric constant is equal to the ratio of the capacitance with the dielectric to the capacitance without the dielectric. It can also be found in tables for different materials or calculated using the material's permittivity and the permittivity of a vacuum.