Dielectric Sphere Polarized

In summary, the dielectric sphere with a radius R is injected with free charge resulting in a polarization described by ## \vec P = \frac{K}{r} \hat r_1## using the unit radial vector ## \hat r_1##. The volume and surface density of bound charge can be calculated using the formula ## \rho_b = - \nabla \cdot \vec P = \frac{-K}{r^2} ## and ## \sigma_b = \vec P \cdot \hat n## which is equal to ## \frac{K}{R} ##. The volume density of free charge can be found by using the formula ## \rho_f = \nabla \cdot \
deedsy

Homework Statement

A dielectric sphere radius R is injected with free charge so that the resultant polarization can be described by ## \vec P = \frac{K}{r} \hat r_1## where ##\hat r_1## is the unit radial vector.
a) Calculate the volume and the surface density of bound charge
b) Calculate the volume density of free charge
c) Calculate the potential inside and outside the sphere

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this is the first problem I've ever attempted involving dielectrics, polarization, bound charges, etc...

a) I know that ## \rho_b = - \nabla \cdot \vec P = -[\frac{2K}{r^2}-\frac{K}{r^2}] = \frac{-K}{r^2} ##
## \sigma_b = \vec P \cdot \hat n## which is equal to ## \frac{K}{R} ##

b) Next, they want the volume density of free charge.
I know ## \rho_f = \nabla \cdot \vec D ## and you can use ## \oint \vec D \cdot d\vec a = Q_{free inside} ## to find the electric displacement, however this isn't much use here since I am trying to find the density of the free charge.
Then I see you can use ## \vec D = \epsilon_0 \vec E + \vec P ## but this requires knowing the electric field inside the dielectric... I don't believe I can find that unless I know the free charge density first. I know ## \rho_{tot} = \rho_b + \rho_f ## but I don't think that can be helpful here... Any other attempt to find an equation relating my knowns (polarization/bound charge densities) to relevant unknowns required unknown constants like the relative permativity, or electric susceptibility - things they don't give in the initial question. So right now, I'm stuck!

c) I'm pretty confident I can do this part once I have my answer for (b). I'll just find the electric field inside and outside the sphere by using Gauss Law for the free and bound charges, then use ## V = \int_r^{\infty} \vec E \cdot d \vec r ## to get the potentials

Last edited:
problem is solved - had to assume we knew the relative permittivity, making it very straight forward

Q1: What is a dielectric sphere polarized?

A dielectric sphere polarized refers to a spherical object made of a non-conducting material, also known as a dielectric, that has been subjected to an electric field and has become polarized.

Q2: How does a dielectric sphere become polarized?

When a dielectric sphere is placed in an electric field, the electric field will cause the electrons in the material to shift slightly, creating an induced dipole moment. This results in an overall separation of charges, causing the sphere to become polarized.

Q3: What is the purpose of polarizing a dielectric sphere?

The purpose of polarizing a dielectric sphere is to create a region of high electric field inside the sphere, which can be useful for various applications such as energy storage, capacitors, and particle accelerators.

Q4: How is the polarization of a dielectric sphere measured?

The polarization of a dielectric sphere can be measured by calculating the dipole moment per unit volume of the material. This is known as the polarization density and is usually denoted by the symbol P.

Q5: Are there any limitations to the polarization of a dielectric sphere?

Yes, there are some limitations to the polarization of a dielectric sphere. The amount of polarization that can be induced in a dielectric material is limited by its dielectric strength, which is the maximum electric field that the material can withstand without breaking down.