Diff Eq Problem y'' - 3y' - 4y= 5e^-x - 3x^2 + 7

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, The given differential equation was solved by finding the complementary solution which resulted in c(1)e^4x+c(2)e^-x. The particular solution was then determined using the method of undetermined coefficients, resulting in the equation (Axe^-x - 2Ae^-x + 2B) - 3(-Axe^-x + Ae^-x + 2Bx + D) -4(Axe^-x +Bx^2 + Dx +E)= (5e^-x - 3x^2 + 7).
hils0005
[SOLVED] Diff Eq problem

Homework Statement

y'' - 3y' - 4y= 5e^-x - 3x^2 + 7

Homework Equations

I think I would need to find complimentary solution, then the particular solution using variation of parameters
y=y(c) + y(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

y(c)=
r^2-3r-4=0
(r-4)(r+1)=0, r=4,-1
y(c)=c(1)e^4x+c(2)e^-x

this is where I get stuck as I do not know what to use for y(p), would it be
y(p)=Axe^-x + Bx^2 + Dx +E ?
y'(p)=Ae^-x - Axe^-x + 2Bx + D
y"(p)=-Ae^-x -Ae^-x +Axe^-x +2B= Axe^-x - 2Ae^-x + 2B

(Axe^-x - 2Ae^-x + 2B) - 3(-Axe^-x + Ae^-x + 2Bx + D) -4(Axe^-x +Bx^2 + Dx +E)= (5e^-x - 3x^2 + 7)

am I even heading in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
everything looks right so far. now you just want to collect terms and match coefficients.

If I remember correctly that is not variation of parameters but method of undermined coefficients. Variation of parameters is something different.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in science and engineering.

What is the order of this differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest order derivative present in the equation. In this case, the highest order derivative is y'', so the order is 2.

How do you solve this differential equation?

To solve this differential equation, we can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a substitution. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

Can this differential equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved analytically using the methods mentioned above. However, the solution may not always be possible to express in terms of elementary functions.

How can this differential equation be applied in real-world situations?

Differential equations are commonly used in modeling physical systems such as population growth, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. In this specific equation, it could be used to model the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator or the decay of a radioactive substance.