Diffeomorphisms and regular values

In summary, we are given a composition of functions where the first function is defined on a compact and boundaryless manifold and the second function is a diffeomorphism that is smoothly isoptopic to the identity and carries regular values from the first function to regular values in the second function. We are trying to show that the second function also has a regular value for the composition. Additionally, we are trying to prove that if two functions are smoothly homotopic, then there exists an element that is a regular value for both functions. This can be shown using Sard's theorem, which states that the set of regular values for a smooth function is not only dense, but also open. This is a consequence of the continuity of the derivative,
TheHup

Homework Statement

1) If f:M -> N, where M is a compact and boundaryless manifold, N is a connected manifold has regular values y and z. And h:N -> N is a diffeomorphism which is smoothly isoptopic to the identity and carries y to z, then why is z a regular value of the composition h o f?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Have been trying to think it through but it's just not clicking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheHup said:

Homework Statement

1) If f:M -> N, where M is a compact and boundaryless manifold, N is a connected manifold has regular values y and z. And h:N -> N is a diffeomorphism which is smoothly isoptopic to the identity and carries y to z, then why is z a regular value of the composition h o f?

2) Also if f,g:M -> N (M,N as above) are smoothly homotopic to each either, then why does Sard's Theorem imply that there exists an element y in N which is a regular value for both f and g?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Have been trying to think it through but it's just not clicking.

2) I know Sard's theorem tells me that the set of regular values of f is dense in N. Similarly for g, however the way I've had dense sets defined to me isn't convincing me that there has to be a point that is a regular value for both f and g.

1) dh is an isomorphism of tangent spaces. So dim ker f is preserved by dh.

2) the regular values of f and g are not only dense but they are open. I think this is enough to prove it.

lavinia said:
1) dh is an isomorphism of tangent spaces. So dim ker f is preserved by dh.

2) the regular values of f and g are not only dense but they are open. I think this is enough to prove it.

Thanks for the help.

For 1) would it be correct to say that d(h o f) = dh o df.

df is non-singular as y is a regular value and as dh is an isomorphism of tangent spaces when it is applied to df it remains non-singular. (This maybe makes no sense at all linear algebra has always been a failing for me).

2) Is the regular values being open a consequence of Sard's theorem or something else?

Thanks again.

TheHup said:
Thanks for the help.

2) Is the regular values being open a consequence of Sard's theorem or something else?

Thanks again.

it is the continuity of the derivative, df. If f is smooth then so is its differential so if it is non-singular at a point it must be non singular in a neighborhood of that point. Since the manifold is compact there are only finitely many preimages so there is an open neighborhood of a regular value consisting totally of regular values.

1. What are diffeomorphisms?

A diffeomorphism is a smooth, one-to-one mapping between two differentiable manifolds that preserves the smoothness of the functions involved. In simpler terms, it is a function that is both smooth and invertible, meaning that it has a smooth inverse function.

2. What is a regular value in the context of diffeomorphisms?

In the context of diffeomorphisms, a regular value is a point in the target manifold that is mapped to by a smooth function in the source manifold and has a full rank derivative. This means that the derivative of the function at that point has the maximum possible rank, and the function is "regular" at that point.

3. What is the significance of regular values in diffeomorphisms?

Regular values are important in diffeomorphisms because they allow for the construction of smooth inverse functions. If a point in the target manifold is a regular value, then the inverse function theorem guarantees the existence of a local inverse function, which can be extended to a global inverse for diffeomorphisms.

4. How are diffeomorphisms and regular values used in mathematics?

Diffeomorphisms and regular values are used in many areas of mathematics, including differential geometry, topology, and dynamical systems. They are particularly useful in studying the properties of differentiable manifolds and understanding the relationships between different spaces.

5. Can you give an example of a diffeomorphism and a regular value?

One example of a diffeomorphism is the mapping between the real line and a circle, given by the function f(x) = e^ix. A regular value in this case would be any point on the circle, as the derivative of the function is always nonzero at these points. This mapping also has a smooth inverse function, given by g(z) = ln(z), making it a diffeomorphism.