Submanifold diffeomorphic to sphere

• Thread starter ConfusedMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary: This is why I said that I could see that the level set may be diffeomorphic to a spheroid, even though I can't figure out a way to get from the level set to the spheroid locally.
ConfusedMonkey

Homework Statement

Consider the map ##\phi: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## defined by ##\phi(x,y,s,t) = (x^2 + y, x^2 + y^2 + s^2 + t^2 + y)##.

Show that ##(0,1)## is a regular value of ##\phi##, and that the level set ##\phi^{-1}(0,1)## is diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{S}^2##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I get two equations describing the level set:

(1) ##x^2 + y = 0 \implies y = -x^2##
(2) ##x^2 + y^2 + s^2 + t^2 + y = 1 \implies y^2 + s^2 + t^2 = 1##

So ##\phi^{-1}(0,1) = \{(x,y,s,t) \in \mathbb{R}^4: y = -x^2 \hspace{0.1cm} \mathrm{ and } \hspace{0.1cm} y^2 + s^2 + t^2 = 1\}##.

I need to show that ##d\phi(x,y,s,t)## is surjective for all ##(x,y,s,t) \in \phi^{-1}(0,1)##. I calculate:

##d\phi(x,y,s,t) = \begin{pmatrix} 2x & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2x & 2y + 1 & 2s & 2t \end{pmatrix}##

It is easy to show that this matrix has rank ##2## for all ##(x,y,s,t) \in \phi^{-1}(0,1)## and so ##\phi^{-1}(0,1)## is an embedded submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^4##. Quick question: Did I calculate the differential properly?

Now, I need to show that this level set is diffeomorphic to the unit sphere. I can kind of see that it may be diffeomorphic to a spheroid, and I know I can show that the spheroid is diffeomorphic to the sphere. My only problem is coming up with this diffeomorphism from the level set onto the spheroid.

I imagine I can define a map ##\psi: \phi^{-1}(0,1) \rightarrow S## by ##\psi(x,y,s,t) = (x,s,t)##, where ##S = \psi(\phi^{-1}(0,1))##. It is easy to see that this map is invertible and its inverse is given by ##\psi^{-1}(x,s,t) = (x, -x^2, s, t)## since ##y = -x^2##. My only trouble is showing that these maps are both smooth. Both the domain and codomain are submanifolds of ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##\mathbb{R}^3##, respectively, so I need to express ##\psi## in appropriate local coordinates before differentiating, but coming up with these local coordinates seems like I am making things overly complicated. What would you suggest I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if we instead set ##\psi(x,y,s,t)=(y\ \mathrm{sign}(x),s,t)## we would have ##S## a perfect sphere, rather than just a spheroid.

I can't see a way of avoiding local coordinates. Perhaps there's a theorem that can be used to shortcut it, but none pops to mind.

Coordinate maps to use might be:
for ##S##:
##\ (y,s,t)\mapsto (s,t)##, with inverse map ##(s,t)\mapsto (\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-t^2},s,t)##, if ##s^2+t^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
##(y,s,t)\mapsto (y,s)##, with inverse map ##(y,s)\mapsto (y,s,\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-y^2})##, if ##y^2+s^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
##(y,s,t)\mapsto (y,t)##, with inverse map ##(y,t)\mapsto (y,\pm\sqrt{1-y^2-t^2},t)##, (two disjoint coordinate patches)
where the ##\pm## has a different sign for each of the two patches in a pair.

and for the level set:
##\ (x,y,s,t)\mapsto (s,t)##, with inverse map ##(s,t)\mapsto (\pm(1-s^2-t^2)^\frac14,-\sqrt{1-s^2-t^2},s,t)##, if ##s^2+t^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
##(x,y,s,t)\mapsto (x,s)##, with inverse map ##(x,s)\mapsto (x,-x^2,s,\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-x^4})##, if ##y^2+s^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
##(x,y,s,t)\mapsto (x,t)##, with inverse map ##(x,t)\mapsto ((x,-x^2,\pm\sqrt{1-x^4-t^2},t)##.

I can solve it like this:

I will keep ##\psi## defined how it is in the original post. Let ##M = \phi^{-1}(0,1)##. I've already proven that ##M## is a submanifold and so the inclusion map ##\iota_M: M \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^4## is smooth. The projection map ##\pi: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3## given by ##\pi(x,y,s,t) = (x,s,t)## is smooth. Because ##\psi = \pi \circ \iota_M##, then ##\psi## is smooth.

We can prove the smoothness of ##\psi^{-1}## in a similar manner: Let ##\iota_S: S \hookrightarrow \mathbb{R}^3## be an inclusion map - it is smooth as ##S## is an embedded submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Let ##\iota: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^4## be an inclusion map - it too is smooth. And finally let ##F: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow M## be given by ##F(x,y,s,t) = (x,-x^2,s,t)##, which is obviously smooth. Then ##\psi^{-1} = F \circ \iota \circ \iota_S## is the composition of smooth maps and hence also smooth.

Note: I know that ##S## is a submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, and hence ##\iota_S## is smooth, because ##S## is diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{S}^2## (constructing a diffeomorphism is very easy).

1. What is a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere?

A submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere is a subset of a higher-dimensional manifold that can be smoothly and one-to-one mapped onto a sphere. This means that the submanifold has the same topological structure as a sphere, but may be embedded in a larger space.

2. How is a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere different from a regular sphere?

A regular sphere is a topological space that is completely contained within a higher-dimensional space. However, a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere is a subset of a higher-dimensional space that can be mapped onto a sphere. In other words, a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere is a sphere-like structure within a larger space.

3. What are the main properties of a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere?

Some of the main properties of a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere include: being closed (meaning it contains all of its boundary points), being orientable (meaning it has a consistent notion of "right-hand" and "left-hand" directions), and being smooth (meaning it can be described by continuously differentiable equations).

4. How are submanifolds diffeomorphic to spheres used in mathematics and science?

Submanifolds diffeomorphic to spheres are used in a variety of fields, such as differential geometry, topology, and physics. They provide a way to study and understand higher-dimensional spaces by relating them to familiar spherical structures. They also have applications in computer graphics and data visualization.

5. Can a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere exist in any dimension?

Yes, a submanifold diffeomorphic to a sphere can exist in any dimension. However, the number of dimensions required for a submanifold to be diffeomorphic to a sphere depends on the specific properties of the submanifold, such as its curvature and orientability. For example, a 2-dimensional submanifold must have positive curvature to be diffeomorphic to a sphere, while a 3-dimensional submanifold must have positive curvature and be orientable.