Difference b/w a wave and a particle?

In summary, the conversation is about the Young's double slit experiment and the difference between a wave and a particle. The speaker has done some research and understands a particle as something that exists at one point in time, while a wave is a disturbance created in a medium. They are confused about how a single atom can behave like a wave and exhibit a wavy pattern in the experiment. They are seeking clarification on this concept.
prisat
Hi Guys..

I have read about young's double slit experiment where it is shown that electron behaves both as a wave and as a particle. I am stuck at a basic point there. !st of all what is the difference between a wave and a particle.
Can anyone tell me in basic terms..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on your own? Have you even looked up the definition of each? If you have and you have specific questions about what you have found that's one thing, otherwise you don't seem to be putting much effort into this.

Likes davenn
@phinds, First of all don't jump to any conclusions by just reading a small paragraph written by that person. Just look at it from top level without any judgments.
That's what this forum is all about.

Second of all..Yes, I have done some research. I understand particle as that which exists in space at one particular point of time.
But as far as wave is concerned, definitions say that its a disturbance created in the medium when a particle moves from one point to another.
If we observe the pattern of the disturbance, it wavy in nature.
But i am stuck at a point , rather confused with the definition of a wave when I read about double slit experiment. I don't get the point where they say when single atom is send from two slits, it behaves like a wave. I get that a single atom converts into multiple atoms when there is no observer and hence passes through al; the refraction and forms a wave like pattern on the board behind. but, even if there are multiple atoms, how does it exhibit wavy pattern. So, if can anybody help me in understanding this, it would be appreciated.

prisat said:
@phinds, First of all don't jump to any conclusions by just reading a small paragraph written by that person. Just look at it from top level without any judgments.
I didn't read ANY paragraphs by "that person", I read a couple of sentences from you.
That's what this forum is all about.
What this forum is about is helping those who are making an attempt to help themselves. You did not appear to be doing that.
Second of all..Yes, I have done some research. I understand particle as that which exists in space at one particular point of time.
But as far as wave is concerned, definitions say that its a disturbance created in the medium when a particle moves from one point to another.
If we observe the pattern of the disturbance, it wavy in nature.
But i am stuck at a point , rather confused with the definition of a wave when I read about double slit experiment. I don't get the point where they say when single atom is send from two slits, it behaves like a wave. I get that a single atom converts into multiple atoms when there is no observer and hence passes through al; the refraction and forms a wave like pattern on the board behind. but, even if there are multiple atoms, how does it exhibit wavy pattern. So, if can anybody help me in understanding this, it would be appreciated.
It exhibits a wavy pattern because it acts like a wave if you don't force it to act like a particle. The "wavy pattern" is exactly that ... a pattern caused by a wave. The single photons act like they are waves because that is part of their nature (but only part; you can also get them to act like particles)

Likes davenn

1. What is the difference between a wave and a particle?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and transfers energy. It can be described by its wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. A particle, on the other hand, is a small unit of matter that has mass and can exist in a single location in space.

2. Can a particle also behave like a wave?

Yes, according to quantum mechanics, particles can exhibit wave-like behavior. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality, where particles can have both particle-like and wave-like properties depending on the experimental setup.

3. How are waves and particles related?

Waves and particles are related through the concept of quantum mechanics. In this theory, particles are described as wave functions, which represent the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. This means that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior and waves can also behave like particles.

4. What are some examples of waves and particles?

Examples of waves include sound waves, light waves, and water waves. These are all forms of energy that travel through space. Examples of particles include electrons, protons, and neutrons, which are the building blocks of matter.

5. How can we distinguish between a wave and a particle?

The main difference between a wave and a particle is their behavior. Waves can travel through space and interfere with other waves, while particles have a defined position in space and can interact with each other through forces. Additionally, waves have properties like wavelength and frequency, while particles have properties like mass and charge.