Difference between an electric cell and a battery?

In summary: PIn summary, an electric cell and a battery both convert chemical energy to electrical energy. However, a cell is a single unit and can be used as a voltage reference, while a battery is a stack of cells designed to supply power to an apparatus. The term "battery" comes from the idea of "bashing" or hitting, implying that a stack of cells has more power than a single cell. The distinction between the terms has been emphasized in the past, but has since become more relaxed. A solar panel or array can also be considered a type of battery, as it consists of multiple cells working together.
amrisha16
what is difference between an electric cell and a battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good question.

The cell is the basic single electrochemical unit which converts chemical energy to electrical energy.

Some cells are not meant to supply current, and are just used as a voltage reference eg the Weston Standard Cell.

Some cells are naturally formed under water droplets and lead to corrosion (rusting). These are called corrosion cells.

A single cell has an anode and a cathode, each with its own chemical reaction. Each reaction is known as a half cell. So a single cell is a combination of a pair of half cells. In the laboratory we may connect the half cells by means of a salt bridge, to study or use the effects, but keep the half cells separate.

Batteries are meant to supply current (power) to drive some apparatus. They may be only a single cell or they may be made up of several cells in series so a 9volt battery contains 6 x 1.5 volt cells.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Actually, I'd slightly disagree with that. afaik, a (voltaic) cell is a single pair of electrodes - whether low power or a D type, supplying more than an Amp.
The term 'Battery' refers to a stack of Cells (in the same way that a 'Battery' of guns consists of a number of them ("two or more pieces of artillery in the field", in one dictionary).
The word 'battery' derives from 'bashing' or hitting (assault and battery). A number of guns will achieve this very nicely and I think the term then applied in that way (more effective way of bashing the enemy). Thence, a stack, or battery, of cells would provide more oomph than a single voltaic cell.
When I started teaching Science, about 20 years ago, everyone was really up themselves about making the distinction between the terms. Students who used the term 'battery' for an AA cell were treated as complete morons. It's cooled down a bit now and who would dream of asking for a 'box of AAA cells' in a shop, any more than asking for 50N of potatoes?

Myself, I couldn't giveadamn; I'm just responding to the question in a pseudo intellectual sort of way. :smile:

Interestingly enough, we always talk of Photovoltaic / solar Cells not batteries - even when we use loads of them in series. Langauge marches on. . . . .

sophiecentaur said:
Interestingly enough, we always talk of Photovoltaic / solar Cells not batteries - even when we use loads of them in series.
I think 'loads of them in series' would collectively be referred to as a solar panel, where multiple panels could further be assembled into a solar array. But with 20 years as a science teacher, you already knew this, so I'm not sure why I even bother writing this. Have a nice day :)

Likewise.

(I mean the nice day bit - not the "why you bothered" bit)

My science dictionary has

Battery:
General term for a number of objects cooperating together, eg a number of accumulator cells, dry cells, capacitors, radars, boilers, guns etc.

So I suppose this implies there has to be more than one object.

Whilst I have always realized the multiple aspect I has clearly been acting like a pleb all these years thinking multiple includes one.

Thank you for the insight SC.

I must say, I enjoyed the 'bashing' root of the word!
p.s. what about Battery Hens?
Cluck cluck.

p.s. what about Battery Hens?

You've been watching too much Nick Park.

Related to Difference between an electric cell and a battery?

1. What is the main difference between an electric cell and a battery?

The main difference between an electric cell and a battery is that an electric cell is a single unit that converts chemical energy into electrical energy, while a battery is a collection of electric cells connected together to produce a greater amount of electrical energy.

2. How do the sizes of electric cells and batteries differ?

Electric cells are generally smaller in size and have a lower energy capacity compared to batteries. Batteries, on the other hand, can range in size from small button batteries to large car batteries and have a higher energy storage capacity.

3. Can both electric cells and batteries be recharged?

Electric cells are not typically designed to be recharged, while batteries are often rechargeable. This is because electric cells have a simple design and are meant to be used until they run out of energy, while batteries have a more complex design that allows for recharging.

4. What is the lifespan of an electric cell compared to a battery?

The lifespan of an electric cell is generally shorter than that of a battery. Electric cells are designed for one-time use, while batteries can be recharged multiple times before needing to be replaced.

5. How does the cost of an electric cell compare to a battery?

The cost of electric cells is usually lower than batteries, as they are simpler in design and meant for one-time use. Batteries, especially rechargeable ones, are typically more expensive due to their higher energy storage capacity and ability to be reused multiple times.