Difference between indigenous technology and appropriate technology?

In summary, indigenous technology refers to technology that is native to a particular place, while appropriate technology refers to a movement of ideology that began with an economist. There is little to no difference between the two, though indigenous technology is often more environmentally friendly.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Difference between indigenous technology and appropriate technology?
Relevant Equations
none
What are the differences between appropriate and indigenous technology. I know about appropriate technology. It is basically something that is made using local resources, using the concept "small is beautiful". And generally pollution free, environmental free stuffs that might not be as efficient as other products. But understandable to uneducated locals for maintainence and operation and controlling. And I guess indigenous technology is something similar. What are the differences that make them distinct?

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
Homework Statement:: Difference between indigenous technology and appropriate technology?
Relevant Equations:: none

What are the differences between appropriate and indigenous technology. I know about appropriate technology. It is basically something that is made using local resources, using the concept "small is beautiful". And generally pollution free, environmental free stuffs that might not be as efficient as other products. But understandable to uneducated locals for maintainence and operation and controlling. And I guess indigenous technology is something similar. What are the differences that make them distinct?
Don't your textbook or learning materials define these terms? If so, including them here would go a long way toward helping us come up with examples and differences of these terms.

Likes berkeman
Yeah, I'm not familiar with either of those terms.

Likes DaveE
Mark44 said:
Don't your textbook or learning materials define these terms? If so, including them here would go a long way toward helping us come up with examples and differences of these terms.
Yeah that's the whole problem. We don't have textbooks for lots of our courses except those that are taught in India and other European Countries and American countries.
I am using resources from here-:

https://bctengineeringnotes.blogspot.com/2021/01/energy-environment-and-society-ees.html

I am following this google drive resources. But it has only definitions about appropriate technology in chapter 1. Not of indigenous technology.

Appropriate technology is an ideological movement... originally articulated (defined) by <an> economist...
(As defined on page 6 of the paper you included in your post #4, above.)

Indigenous is: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native
(found as the first result of this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=define:indigenous

Likes shivajikobardan
Tom.G said:
Appropriate technology is an ideological movement... originally articulated (defined) by <an> economist...
(As defined on page 6 of the paper you included in your post #4, above.)

Indigenous is: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native
(found as the first result of this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=define:indigenous
hmm yeah I feel like there is much overlapping between them than difference. so I'm asking if anyone knows the distinction between them. I feel like all indigenous technology are appropriate technology but all appropritate technology aren't indigenous technology.

A quick Google "define Indigenous Tech" yields that it is ...

"... used by the native inhabitants of a country or region and it constitutes an important part of its cultural heritage. Characteristically, indigenous technologies are recognized as animate, imbued with the breath of life and they live in form and function."

Which is virtually orthogonal to Appropriate Tech.

Here's an article:
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-94-007-6165-0_367-2?noAccess=true

I can give examples of each one: so indigenous is used by the native inhabitants of a region, it is a part of its cultural heritage, for example - electromagnetic monitors or imaging systems such as CT or MRI scans. An example of appropriate technology would be a passive solar building design or self-contained solar lamp.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
Sorry, would you mind providing an example of some native inhabitants who have "electromagnetic monitors or imaging systems such as CT or MRI scans" as part of their cultural heritage?

It's a possible part of; cultures are different

I'd say it behooves you to familiarize your self with the terms culture and heritage.

DaveC426913 said:
I'd say it behooves you to familiarize your self with the terms culture and heritage.
FYI -- Jesse is on a temporary vacation from PF, and has been thread banned from this thread.

Likes DaveC426913

What is the difference between indigenous technology and appropriate technology?

Indigenous technology refers to the traditional knowledge and skills that are developed and used by a specific group of people in a particular region. It is usually passed down through generations and is adapted to the local environment and resources. On the other hand, appropriate technology is a modern concept that focuses on using technology that is suitable for the specific social, economic, and environmental conditions of a community.

How does indigenous technology benefit a community?

Indigenous technology is beneficial to a community because it is developed based on the needs and resources of the community. It is often more sustainable and cost-effective compared to modern technology, as it utilizes local materials and knowledge. It also helps to preserve cultural traditions and promotes self-sufficiency within the community.

What are the main characteristics of appropriate technology?

The main characteristics of appropriate technology include being simple, affordable, environmentally friendly, and easy to maintain. It should also be adaptable to local conditions and needs, and involve the participation of the community in its development and implementation.

How does appropriate technology promote sustainable development?

Appropriate technology promotes sustainable development by addressing the specific needs of a community without causing harm to the environment. It also promotes self-reliance and reduces dependency on outside resources. By using local materials and knowledge, it can also contribute to the economic development of a community.

What are some examples of indigenous and appropriate technology?

Examples of indigenous technology include traditional farming methods, herbal medicine, and artisanal crafts. Appropriate technology examples include solar cookers, rainwater harvesting systems, and low-cost housing solutions. Both indigenous and appropriate technology can vary greatly depending on the region and community in which they are used.