Difference between nano physics and nanotechnology

In summary, Nano physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of materials on a nanoscale, while nanotechnology is the application of this knowledge to create new materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale. These two fields are closely related, as nano physics provides the fundamental understanding for the development of nanotechnology. One example of their practical use is in medicine, where nanoparticles are used to deliver drugs more effectively. However, there are also potential risks associated with nanotechnology, and it is important for scientists to study and address these risks. Overall, studying nano physics and nanotechnology contributes to scientific advancements by allowing us to harness the unique properties of materials at the nanoscale for various applications.
Abhilash H N
Hi,
I am preparing for a project based on nano physics, and I am just 'beginner'. While preparing I just could not make out the difference between nano physics and nanotechnology. Can somebody help me?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that nano physics was the study of nano effects and nano technology was the application, the practical aspects of nano effects.

Ok. When talking about 'nano' the effects which come across are related to quantum dynamics right? So can we say that on studying quantum dynamics a person is able to speak of nano physics?

1. What is the difference between nano physics and nanotechnology?

Nano physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of materials on a nanoscale, typically at the atomic or molecular level. Nanotechnology, on the other hand, is the application of this knowledge to create new materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale.

2. How are nano physics and nanotechnology related?

Nano physics provides the fundamental understanding of how materials behave at the nanoscale, which is essential for the development of nanotechnology. Nanotechnology, in turn, utilizes this knowledge to design and create new materials and devices with unique properties and functions.

3. Can you give an example of how nano physics and nanotechnology are used in real life?

One example is the use of nanotechnology in medicine, where nanoparticles are used to deliver drugs directly to specific cells in the body, reducing side effects and increasing effectiveness. This application relies on the understanding of how materials behave at the nanoscale, which is studied in nano physics.

4. What are some potential risks associated with nanotechnology?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with nanotechnology. These include the potential toxicity of some nanoparticles, their potential impact on the environment, and the potential for unintended consequences. It is important for scientists and researchers to thoroughly study and address these risks in the development and use of nanotechnology.

5. How does studying nano physics and nanotechnology contribute to scientific advancements?

Studying nano physics and nanotechnology allows us to better understand the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, which can lead to the development of new and improved technologies in various fields such as medicine, energy, and electronics. By harnessing the unique properties of materials at the nanoscale, we can create more efficient and advanced solutions to real-world problems.