Differences between engineering disciplines

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, Civil engineering is more suited to someone who wants to build things for the outside world while Mechanical engineering is more suited to someone who wants to make weapons or spacecraft.
Ritzycat
Hello, I am a high school student and I am having trouble differentiating the different engineering disciplines, notably mechanical + civil engineers. What would be a job that one of these could get, and the other that one could not? I am aiming at a BS in Aerospace engineering, because I have a dream of building rockets or satellites or working for NASA some day. I am aware that aerospace is generally a subfield of mechanical, but people that design these aircraft/ spacecraft are using "structural engineering" which is supposedly a subfield of civil engineering.

I have read the sticky, but I am still a bit confused on this matter. I want to design aircrafts and spacecraft and what not but the breadth all of these fields seem to encompass are confusing me. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think ME would give you more options with NASA.

There are aerospace majors that allow you to specialize in aerodynamics, space structures, controls, and so on. try them out.

In Mechanical you can study fluid dynamics and thus propulsion, flight, aircraft wing design, wind tunnel computer simulations or building the real thing :)

So mechanical engineering is more suited to my goals?

Glad I finally joined these forums. Astronomy is my dream and theoretical physics is amazing but the atrocious job market for PhDs has been steering me to more "practical" majors that I can apply to more "practical" jobs while still allowing me to potentially be able to chase my dreams in space.

Aerospace Engineering is pretty much derived from Mechanical Engineering. Starting out with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering will give you broad accessibility to many different careers paths related to the aerospace industry. You could follow that up with a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering to really specialize.

The advice I received many years ago was essentially this:

"If you do not know which engineering discipline to enter, then go for Mechanical Engineering. It is the broadest course of study. The first two years of any discipline is generally the same. That gives you two years to explore & discover what interests you. From there (ME), one can change disciplines or take specific courses that allow you to specialize."

And I have found it to be very much like this.

There is a poor joke concerning the differences between mechanical and civil engineers among people who worked in weapons work.

Background: Civil Engineers construct bridges, buildings, parks etc.
Mechanical Engineers (may) make rockets, missiles, helicopters etc

The joke goes what is the difference between mechanical and civil engineer?
Answer: Mechanical engineers make weapons and civil engineers make "targets".

Well I already said it was a poor joke.

I think Mechanical particularly Aerospace Engineering or Electrical Engineering is more in NASA's interest.

Related to Differences between engineering disciplines

1. What are the main differences between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering involves designing and building mechanical systems such as engines and machines, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity and electromagnetism. The skillset and knowledge required for each discipline are different, but they often work together in projects such as designing a car.

2. Is civil engineering different from structural engineering?

Yes, civil engineering is a broad field that involves the design, construction, and maintenance of large-scale infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Structural engineering, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the design and analysis of structures to ensure their safety and stability.

3. How does computer engineering differ from software engineering?

Computer engineering deals with the design and development of computer hardware and its components, while software engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. Both disciplines require knowledge of computer science, but computer engineers work more closely with hardware and software engineers focus on programming and software development.

4. What is the main difference between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering involves the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems, while mechanical engineering covers a broader range of mechanical systems. Aerospace engineers focus on the unique challenges and requirements of creating vehicles that can operate in the earth's atmosphere and beyond, while mechanical engineers may work on a variety of projects, from small consumer products to large industrial machinery.

5. How does chemical engineering differ from other engineering disciplines?

Chemical engineering applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to the design, development, and operation of processes that involve chemical reactions. This can include the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food, as well as the design of equipment and processes for environmental remediation and energy production. Chemical engineering is unique in its focus on the chemical reactions and processes involved in a wide range of industries.