Differential Equation, Change of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of partial derivatives and how they are used to express the consequences of changing one variable while holding others constant. The conversation also mentions the full notation for partial derivatives and how it is usually notated without specifying the values of the other variables. The main confusion arises from the lack of information on what is being held constant as y varies in the given problem.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am looking at this question:

question.jpg

With this (part of ) solution:

solution.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I follow up to the last line-

I do not understand here how we have simply taken the ##1/t^{\alpha m + \alpha}## outside of the derivative ##\frac{\partial}{\partial y} ## since ##y=y(r,t^{\beta}) ## i.e. ##t## and ##y## are not independent variables... ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial y}{\partial t^{\beta}}\frac{\partial t^{\beta}}{\partial t}##

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
My problems with the algebra start before that.
A partial derivative expresses the consequences of changing one variable while one or more other variables are held constant. The full notation specifies what is held constant. E.g. if f=f(x,y) then we may write ##\frac {\partial f}{\partial x}\Big\rvert_{y=y_0}##. Nearly always, it is obvious what the 'other' variables are, and we don't need to specify their values, so we omit the vertical bar and its subscript.
In the present case, I have no idea what is being held constant as y varies.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a quantity over time.

What is a change of variables in differential equations?

Change of variables is a technique used to simplify a differential equation by replacing the original variables with new ones. This can make the equation easier to solve or provide a different perspective on the problem.

Why is change of variables important in solving differential equations?

Change of variables can transform a complex differential equation into a simpler one, making it easier to find a solution. It can also help in solving equations that are impossible to solve using traditional methods.

What are some common examples of change of variables in differential equations?

Some common examples of change of variables in differential equations include substitution, transformation, and scaling. These techniques can be used to convert the equation into a different form, making it more manageable to solve.

How do you know which change of variables to use in a specific differential equation?

The choice of which change of variables to use depends on the structure and characteristics of the differential equation. It is often a trial and error process, where different substitutions are tested until a suitable one is found that simplifies the equation.