Differential equation for air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a non-linear differential equation, where the derivative of y with respect to v is expressed and integrated to find a solution. The final solution is then checked by taking the derivative to ensure it satisfies the original equation. The expert suggests that the given solution is correct, but it is important to clarify what is considered a solution by the instructor.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation ##\displaystyle Cv^2 - mg = m\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is nonlinear, so we need to use unconventional methods. Specifically, if we can express the derivative of y with respect to v, then we might be able to integrate in order to find y.

So ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dv} = \frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dv} = v \frac{dt}{dv} = \frac{v}{\frac{dv}{dt}}##

But ##\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}## is given by ##\displaystyle \frac{C}{m}v^2 - g##, so
##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dv} = \frac{mv}{Cv^2 - mg}##

If we solve this, we get ##\displaystyle y = \frac{m}{2c} \ln{|1 - \frac{Cv^2}{mg}|}## where ##V_0 = 0##.

Is this the correct solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation ##\displaystyle Cv^2 - mg = m\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is nonlinear, so we need to use unconventional methods. Specifically, if we can express the derivative of y with respect to v, then we might be able to integrate in order to find y.

So ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dv} = \frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dv} = v \frac{dt}{dv} = \frac{v}{\frac{dv}{dt}}##

But ##\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}## is given by ##\displaystyle \frac{C}{m}v^2 - g##, so
##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dv} = \frac{mv}{Cv^2 - mg}##

If we solve this, we get ##\displaystyle y = \frac{m}{2c} \ln{|1 - \frac{Cv^2}{mg}|}## where ##V_0 = 0##.

Is this the correct solution?

Check this solution by taking the derivative and seeing if the differential equation is satisfied. That is something you should always do, whenever it is possible.

Ray Vickson said:
Check this solution by taking the derivative and seeing if the differential equation is satisfied. That is something you should always do, whenever it is possible.
Actually, it does satisfy the original equation! So is my solution the correct one?

bump. I need a definitive answer

Mr Davis 97 said:

If it satisfies the equation, of course it is.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Cannot give you one until you say what YOU regard as a solution. I would personally regard a formula such as ##v = f(t)## or ##t =h(v)## or ##y = F(t)## or ##t = H(y)## as a solution, so that if I were given ##t## I could compute ##v## and/or ##y##. So I myself would not say you were finished, but maybe your instructor has a different opinion.

However, your relationship between ##y## and ##v## MUST BE correct if it satisfies the DE.

What is a differential equation for air resistance?

A differential equation for air resistance is a mathematical model that describes how an object's velocity changes over time due to the force of air resistance acting upon it. It takes into account factors such as the object's mass, velocity, and the properties of the air it is moving through.

How is the differential equation for air resistance derived?

The differential equation for air resistance is derived using principles from fluid mechanics and Newton's second law of motion. The equation takes into account the drag force, which is directly proportional to the velocity of the object and the density of the air it is moving through.

What are the limitations of the differential equation for air resistance?

The differential equation for air resistance is a simplified model and does not account for all factors that may affect an object's motion through air, such as turbulence and changes in air density. Additionally, it assumes that the object is moving at a constant velocity and in a straight line.

How can the differential equation for air resistance be applied in real-world situations?

The differential equation for air resistance is commonly used in engineering and physics to model the motion of objects through air, such as airplanes, projectiles, and vehicles. It can also be used to understand the effects of air resistance on athletes and sports equipment.

What are some other factors that can affect air resistance?

In addition to velocity and air density, other factors that can affect air resistance include the shape and surface area of the object, the roughness of its surface, and the viscosity of the air. Wind direction and speed can also play a role in air resistance.