Differential equation on relativistic momentum (ML Boas)

In summary: We get:$$E=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F*c*sin(F*t*m*c)dt$$This maximum occurs at c=0.5 and is due to the fact that the power is maximum for the frequency where the oscillation amplitude is the largest.
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement
The momentum ##p## of an electron at speed ##v## near the speed ##c## of light increase s according to the formula ##p=\gamma mv##, where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##; m is a constant (mass of an electron). If an electron is subject to a constant force F, Newton's second law describing its motion is: $$\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt} \gamma mv=F$$. Find (a) v(t) and show that v approaches c as t approaches infinite. (b) Find the distance traveled by the electron in time t if it starts from rest.
Relevant Equations
For ##dy/dx = c##, the solution is $$y=\int {c dx}$$
$$p=\gamma m v$$
$$F = \frac {md (\gamma v}{dt}$$
$$\int{F dt} = \int{md (\gamma v}$$
$$F t= \gamma mv$$

At this step, I don't know how to make v as explicit function of t, since gamma is a function of v too. Thankss

Physics news on Phys.org
Gee, I think I just have to take quadrat on both sides. Pfft..

Now, I will update what I get and still can't get the distance function.
I get:
$$v^2=\frac{Ft}{m^2+\frac{Ft}{c^2}}$$, then
$$v=\sqrt{\frac{Ft}{m^2+\frac{Ft}{c^2}}}$$

Writing ##v=\frac{dx}{dt}## gives:
$$\frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{Ft}{m^2+\frac{Ft}{c^2}}}$$

Any suggestion how to determine this integral?

agnimusayoti said:
Any suggestion how to determine this integral?

It's easier if you start with the correct expression for [itex]v[/itex].

agnimusayoti said:
Now, I will update what I get and still can't get the distance function.
I get:
$$v^2=\frac{Ft}{m^2+\frac{Ft}{c^2}}$$, then
$$v=\sqrt{\frac{Ft}{m^2+\frac{Ft}{c^2}}}$$

Try again. What does squaring both sides of [itex]mv = Ft/\gamma(v)[/itex] give you?

Shoot. I forget to square Ft. Sorry,

Youre right.
I get this:
$$dx=\frac{cF t}{\sqrt{m^2 c^2 + F^2 t^2}} dt$$
Then, integrating this equation, I get:
$$x=\frac{c}{F}\sqrt{m^2c^2 + F^2t^2} + C_1$$
Because electron starts from rest, therefore at t=0 x = 0. So, I get ##C_1=-\frac{mc^2}{F}##.
Using this constant, I get the same answer with the solution.
Thanks. Sorry for not being meticulous.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It relates the rate of change of the function to its current value and other variables.

2. How does a differential equation relate to relativistic momentum?

Differential equations are used to describe the behavior of physical systems, including those involving relativistic momentum. In the case of relativistic momentum, the differential equation describes the relationship between the momentum and the energy of a moving particle.

3. What is the significance of ML Boas in the study of differential equations on relativistic momentum?

ML Boas is the author of the textbook "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences," which is commonly used in undergraduate courses on differential equations and other mathematical topics in physics. The book includes a chapter on relativistic momentum and its corresponding differential equation.

4. Can you give an example of a differential equation on relativistic momentum?

One example is the differential equation for the relativistic momentum of a particle with mass m and velocity v:

d(mv)/dt = F

where F is the force acting on the particle. This equation describes how the momentum of the particle changes over time due to the applied force.

5. How are differential equations on relativistic momentum solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including analytical and numerical techniques. In the case of relativistic momentum, the differential equation can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors.