Differential equations and geometric series

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is trying to solve a differential equation using a power series method and is having trouble expressing the solution in terms of a summation notation. They have found the solution for the first term, y1, but are struggling with finding the general solution for the second term, y2. They are wondering if there is another series that could produce the same result. The other person in the conversation suggests inserting even numbers into the denominator and cancelling them out in the numerator.
Pouyan

Homework Statement

I Have a differential equation y'' -xy'-y=0 and I must solve it by means of a power series and find the general term. I actually solved the most of it but I have problem to decide it in term of a ∑ notation!

Homework Equations

y'' -xy'-y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the recurrence relation is an+2= an / (n+2)
´for the first solution y1 I choose even numbers for n and for the second solution y2 I choose odd numbers
Even numbers:
n=0 → a2= a0 / (0+2) , n=2 → a4= a0 / (2*2*2)
n=4 → a6= a0 / (6*2*2*2)

Odd numbers:
n=1 → a3= a1 / (3) , n=3 → a5= a1 / (5*3)
n=5 → a7= a1 / (7*5*3)For even numbers I see that it's not so hard to find : y1 = ∑(x2n/2n*n!)
But I have problem with y2, I tried many times to find a solution but I faild! I see just in the answer
y2 is : ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!)

As I said I can solve this diff equation but I can't find the general solution for y2 in term of a ∑, What kind of algorithm must I use to get ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) ?!
Is ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) the only solution for y2 or can we find a similar series which reaches the same result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement

I Have a differential equation y'' -xy'-y=0 and I must solve it by means of a power series and find the general term. I actually solved the most of it but I have problem to decide it in term of a ∑ notation!

Homework Equations

y'' -xy'-y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the recurrence relation is an+2= an / (n+2)
´for the first solution y1 I choose even numbers for n and for the second solution y2 I choose odd numbers
Even numbers:
n=0 → a2= a0 / (0+2) , n=2 → a4= a0 / (2*2*2)
n=4 → a6= a0 / (6*2*2*2)

Odd numbers:
n=1 → a3= a1 / (3) , n=3 → a5= a1 / (5*3)
n=5 → a7= a1 / (7*5*3)For even numbers I see that it's not so hard to find : y1 = ∑(x2n/2n*n!)
But I have problem with y2, I tried many times to find a solution but I faild! I see just in the answer
y2 is : ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!)

As I said I can solve this diff equation but I can't find the general solution for y2 in term of a ∑, What kind of algorithm must I use to get ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) ?!
Is ∑(2n*n!*x2n+1/(2n+1)!) the only solution for y2 or can we find a similar series which reaches the same result?

Look at an example in your denominator: ##3~5~7~9~11~13~15## multiplied together. Now let's insert some evens:
##2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~24~13~14~15~16## to make the denominator a factorial. Each term we have inserted has a factor of ##2##:
##(2*1)(2*2)(2*3)(2*4)(2*5)(2*6)(2*7)(2*8)##. Do you see that you have added a factorial and a power of ##2##? So we need to put cancelling terms in the numerator. That's the idea. You just need to make sure the indexes are right.

Likes Pouyan

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are also often used to describe the behavior of a single system, while partial differential equations are used to describe the relationships between multiple systems.

3. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number called the common ratio. The formula for a geometric series is an = a1rn-1, where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

4. How are differential equations and geometric series related?

Differential equations can be used to model geometric series in which the common ratio is a function of the independent variable. This allows us to analyze the behavior of the series over time or in different scenarios.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and geometric series?

Differential equations and geometric series have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and more. In finance, they are used to analyze compound interest and stock market fluctuations.