Differential Equations - Method of Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a non-homogeneous equation with the general solution y = yh + yp, where yh is the general solution to the homogeneous equation and yp is the particular solution. The conversation also mentions using unknown coefficients to find the particular solution, with a suggested form of yp=(at^2+bt)e^-t. The solution for yp is then tested by inputting it into the equation and adjusting the coefficients as needed.
MJay82

Homework Statement

I've been having problems with a number of these things, here's the first one:
y'' -2y' -3y = -3te-t

Homework Equations

I know that the general solution will be
y = yh + yp
where yh is the general solution to the homogeneous equation, and yp
is the particular solution of the non-homogeneous equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the homogeneous solutions very easily, but I'm tricked by how to solve for yp. I understand the principle of the solution if the right side of the equation was simply -3e-t, but when the extra t is thrown in there, my understanding breaks down.

I tried yp=t2e-t, differentiated twice, and then input these expressions into the equation. I just realized that I was supposed to use an unknown coefficient (A we'll call it) with my guess at yp. Since the terms on the right side are a product, will I just use A, or will I need some B as well? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use unknown coefficients, in plural :wink:. Try the solution in the form yp=(at2+bt+c)e-t.

ehild

IF [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] were not already a solution to the associated homogeneous equation, since the right side is [itex]te^{-t}[/itex], you would try [itex]y_p= (At+ B)e^{-t}[/itex]. Because [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] IS a solution to the associated homogeneous equation, you should try [itex]y_p= (At^2+ Bt)e^{-t}[/itex].

(You don't really need the "c" in ehild's suggestion. It wouldn't hurt, but you would find that c= 0.)

Thanks y'all! I'll be trying a little later this afternoon.

Related to Differential Equations - Method of Undetermined Coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients used for in differential equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used to find a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous linear differential equation. It is particularly useful for solving equations with constant coefficients and forcing terms that are polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions.

2. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

To use the method of undetermined coefficients, one first identifies the type of function that is the forcing term in the differential equation. Then, a guess for the particular solution is made based on the form of the forcing term. This guess is substituted into the original equation, and the coefficients are solved for using algebraic manipulation.

3. What are the limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients and forcing terms that are polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions. It also does not work for equations with repeated roots or non-constant coefficients.

4. Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, the method of undetermined coefficients can be used for higher-order differential equations. However, it becomes more complicated as the order of the equation increases, and it may be more efficient to use other methods such as the method of variation of parameters.

5. Are there any tips for making an accurate guess in the method of undetermined coefficients?

One tip for making an accurate guess in the method of undetermined coefficients is to choose a particular solution that is a linear combination of the terms in the forcing term. It is also helpful to look at the form of the homogeneous solution and make sure the guess for the particular solution does not overlap with it.